cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-300mm lens has stopped working. Any ideas on what the problmen might be?

cser
Apprentice

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Exactly what is happening/not working?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A lot more info is needed.  If it won't AF, it is probably toast and is kaput.  Did you drop it or get it wet?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Assuming he can see through it, it is either the focus, the IS or the aperture, all of those scream "Send me back to Canon!"

cser
Apprentice
This is me replying back to everyone who responded. THANK YOU! Nothing happened to it. It was in the bag and I had not used it for a while. It just doesn't work. It isn't the camera because other lenses work. It almost doesn't seem to be getting power - it will not focus - I say almost because sometimes it makes a little sound like it is "trying" to work. I cleaned the connections... not sure what else to do...

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Does it have a MF/AF switch. Cycle the switch a few times. If you are in MF can you turn the focus ring?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It does have the mf/af ring.  I will try it when I get home.  Thanks.

I cycled the switch.  The ring does turn in MF but not easily...  Feels/sounds like something in there...kind of gritty

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Most likely needs service then. But, it may be less expensive to replace the lens. Give Canon service a call and see if they have a flat rate repair fee or can ballpark you a repair cost. Then, go to the Canon eStore and check out refurbished lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Check out this thread.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138114#U138114

Your lens just may have a similar issue.  If not, contact Canon service.  I agree, a new lens of the same type just be less inexpensive than a repair.  What does that say to you about the quality of the lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements