cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-300mm, EF M 18-150mm or EF M 55-200mm for Canon EOS M50?

Charliecharles
Apprentice

I'm interested in having a zoom lens for my mirrorless. I'm at the moment leaning toward the 18-150 which could be a good all around lens.

That said the 300mm offer a superior zoom capability but is initially for full frame.

Speed are all about the same, the stabilization probably also.

What's your thoughts on IQ and usability of these lenses ?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Charliecharles wrote:

I'm interested in having a zoom lens for my mirrorless. I'm at the moment leaning toward the 18-150 which could be a good all around lens.

That said the 300mm offer a superior zoom capability but is initially for full frame.

Speed are all about the same, the stabilization probably also.

What's your thoughts on IQ and usability of these lenses ?

What other lenses do you have?  It is better to expand your range of focal lengths, than it is to duplicate what you already have.

I recommend sticking with the native mount lenses, whenever possible.  The EF-M mount lenses will have a lower current draw than the EF mount lenses.  Also, Canon’s EF-M mount lenses are much newer designs than the majority of their EF mount lenses, which usually means sharper images.

The 18-150mm lens has a zoom ratio, longest FL to shortest FL that is roughly 6:1, which is little on the too wide side.  The best zoom lenses have zoom ratios of 4:1, or less.  But, the 18-150mm is fairly recent design, so that decade old rule of thumb could probably be stretched a bit to include 6:1.

I own the M3, and use the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, which I love.  It is fast.  Most of Canon’s EF-M zoom lenses have all been just a bit too slow at the long end of their focal range, f/6.3.  The lenses would work great outdoors, but not as well indoors without a flash.  I can shoot with my 22mm indoors without too much trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have an M5 along with the 18-150 lens as its standard walk around lens.  I also have the 11-22, 18-55 (when I got the original M body) and the 55-200.  I agree with Waddizzle that they are not the fastest lenses but that is an issue depending on what you are going to shoot.  I do most of my shooting outdoors and often in reasonable light for scenic and the occasional wildlife.  I have other DSLRs for serious wildlife shooting.

If you wanted to go for an EF lens you will have to add the adaptor as well as the lens itself, which adds quite a lot of bulk and weight at the front end of a very small body - throwing the unit out of balance IMHO.   If you are serious about using a telephoto lens I would hope you shoot using the viewfinder rather than the rear LCD for stabililty.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements