cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200 1:4 L USM manual focus failure

HTS
Apprentice

Seeking the forum opinions on this one...

The manual focus on this lens has failed and the AF struggles since.  Is it worth taking it to a repair shop or should I just right it off and update the lens?  

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is worth repair but the f2.8L version is sure tempting and now you have a reason. Smiley Happy

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 and ask about service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It is worth repair but the f2.8L version is sure tempting and now you have a reason. Smiley Happy

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 and ask about service.

The 70-200's tend to hold their value pretty well. So if you were to take Ernie's implied suggestion and upgrade to the f/2.8 (and very few in this forum would try to talk you out of it), you might want to compare the repair cost to what you could get for your current lens after the repair. Conceivably, the latter could be greater than the former. A lens just repaired by Canon should be considered to be in pretty good condition.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

HTS
Apprentice
Thank you. Yes, also considering just doing an upgrade. These newer AF models just don’t seem to have the longevity of the older models.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Not my experience. I have put mine to daily use for years and they are still doing their job. I don’t baby my gear either!
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Interesting.  I have had this one for several years.  Not a daily use by any stretch and never been dropped.  The manual ring just quit working one day and now the AF has become unreliable. Replaced battery to ensure it wasn't a power issue with no improvement.  

Could it be the camera body components?  Its just an old Rebel XT and it has definitely had more abuse.  (Yeah, thats ready for an upgrade too!)

The 70-200 f2.8 would be a very nice upgrade, this and the 24-70 f2.8 are my two most frequently used lenses.

I own quite a few Canon lenses, several dating back to 2005.  The only one that was a problem was the 50 f1.4 that was repaired once under warranty for failed AF and it died a few years after for the same reason, that is a known issue with that particular lens. 

I "fixed" the issue by replacing it with a Sigma 50 f1.4 Art series lens which is my only non-Canon lens but it is one that definitely impresses me.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements