cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 50mm 1.8 Manual Focus not Responding

Ziiar
Contributor

Hello. I recently got an EF 50mm 1.8 lens for my EOS 60D.

The automatic focus appears to be fine but turning the focus ring while in manual does not change focus at all. I've made sure that the lens is set to "MF" and I can see "M FOCUS" on my top display. I tried the lens on another camera and it behaves the same way.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Ziiar wrote:

Hi. Sorry, the shutter button problem I was having was a different issue that I have resolved now. Here is it's current state:

With the lens set to AF, the auto focus works fine. I can acheive this by pushing the shutter down half way.

With the lens set to MF, moving the focus ring does not change focus at all. Pushing the shutter half way while moving the ring, makes to change.

Does manual override work when the lens is set to AF? If not, then there must be a bad connection between the focus ring and the focusing motors. The focusing motors obviously work, or the lens would fail to autofocus. But I think a bad connection between the ring and the motors would explain the symptoms, including the fact that the failure is observed on more than one camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

@kvbarkley wrote:

Call Canon customer service, you may have a bad lens.

If you just bought the lens, take it, or send it, back to the vendor for an exchange.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

I just tried manual override in AF mode. Still no change.

@kvbarkley wrote:

If you just bought the lens, take it, or send it, back to the vendor for an exchange.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Simple!  The lens is faulty.  If it has warranty call Canon service.  If it is out of warranty it is not cost effective to have it repaired most likely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

perceptional1
Contributor

Hello, I have a 5d mark iii the kit lens  and a fully manual samyang 14mm won't focus it just stays on focus when on maunual focus.  Turing the focus ring the image doesn't go in or out of focus it just stays in focus. It doesn't change the image at all. My cheap canon 50mm focuses properly, 

I guess you mean the Samyang manual lens is not focusing.  Are you sure you're turning the focus ring, and not the aperture ring?  If the lens is new, sent it back for a new one or a refund.  The Samyang lens will not auto focus, and your camera should be in manual mode.

Hello

its not just the fully maual samyang it's also my kit lens  the 24-105mm L Lens both lenses won't go in out of focus it just stays

in focus, in contrast to that is my cheap canon 50mm focuses perfectly 

Are you saying you cannot manual focus? Did you try setting the lens to manual focus mode?

Hello am on manual focus the samyang is fully manual it and my kit lens won't go in or out of focus it just stays on clear focus

@perceptional1 wrote:

Hello am on manual focus the samyang is fully manual it and my kit lens won't go in or out of focus it just stays on clear focus

If you want someone to help you,, then I suggest that you try to answer the questions you are asked.  

Announcements