cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 400MM F4 lens

BudTree48
Apprentice

Does the EF400M lens support external lens filters? I am concerned that a drop-in filter provides no front lens glass protection from scratches or other things. I hand carry most of the time and rely heavily on a UV/Haze filter to protect the front glass from damage.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't think there are threads. Do you really want to buy a 5" filter? The interior glass is recessed by quite a bit, so protection is probably not necessary.

Thanks for the reply - your input was much appreciated. A EF 400MM F4 lens cost $6900 and a 122MM UV filter costs $250. Well worth the cost. I do birding photography so I am always outdoors in semi-rugged condtions. I have a Sigma Sport 150-600MM now and the 105MM UV filter provides an extra layer of protection (on top of the five inch deep hood this lens has) that allows me to not have to worry about wading through brush and the occasional tumble.

Canon big lenses, including your 400mm f/4 DO lens do not have the thread on the front element for a conventional UV filter.

You can rely on the hood while in use and the Canon supplied cap for protection when not in use.

I am in the camp that don't use UV filters for protection - only the hood and vigilance so I don't have the dilemma you are facing.  

There are a number of after market lens cap for protection but not while you're using it.  Don Zeck makes a pretty good cap for your lens.  You might want to check it out.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I am a use protecto filters all the time.  Except on big teles.  I have the big Siggy S and I don't use a filter on it.  It has an extremely durable front element from the factory.  I doubt you can damage it if it is not intentional.  It is one heavy duty build lens!

One reason is you are usually far enough away from the subject to avoid almost all problems.  With short primes and zooms you usually are not. The big down side to not using a filter is cleaning the front element.  But my 600mm f4 goes several years between lens cleanings so I believe that is safe.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@BudTree48 wrote:

Thanks for the reply - your input was much appreciated. A EF 400MM F4 lens cost $6900 and a 122MM UV filter costs $250. Well worth the cost. I do birding photography so I am always outdoors in semi-rugged condtions. I have a Sigma Sport 150-600MM now and the 105MM UV filter provides an extra layer of protection (on top of the five inch deep hood this lens has) that allows me to not have to worry about wading through brush and the occasional tumble.

And of course you have it insured against all forms of accidental damage. Anyone with a lens that expensive, unless he was very rich, obviously would.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Why not get a hoodie for it. Easy to install & remove & not expensive.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

B from B,

"...you have it insured against all forms of accidental damage."

I never insured anything ... until I retired.  Now I am wondering why I decided to do that?  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements