cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-105mm Lens Slip

csimons
Apprentice

Hi,

In April 2013 I purchased a Canon 6D with the EF 24-105mm L IS USM Lens. 

Today I was shooting looking directly down and noticed the lens zooms in while in the down positon.

This was rather frustrating as I had to keep zooming out to readjust the shot.

Is this normal? or do I have a fault lens?

I had the lens sitting at the 35 mark and it slipped to the 70 mark within 3 seconds.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fossleje
Apprentice

My 24-105 also slips when pointed downward.  I solved the problem with a rubber band that I put at the edge of the zoom ring.  It simply adds enough friction to keep the lens from slipping but can easily be zoomed without interference.  There are bands you can purchase for a few bucks to do the same thing, but the rubber band (from some vegetables I purchased) is much less expensive and works just fine.  And if it wears out (about once per year) I throw it away and get a new one.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately it is common. I can't say it is normal because they shouldn't do it but all the ones I have seen do.

Otherwise it is a great lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

On a brand new lens?  Yikes.  Like eBiggs said, it happens, and I have some older lenses that do it, but it shouldn't happen.  I'd contact Canon, that lens is too new to be doing that.

diverhank
Authority

Most zoom lens including the 24-105 will move to the longest lens position due to gravity.  This problem is most noticeable during transport.  The 24-70mm f/2.8L II has a lock switch @ 24mm to prevent this.  Some lenses move more freely than others, but they all move.  If you are using Autofocus, the motor should prevent the barrel from extending so the effect shouldn't be as dramatic...

I usually don't shoot the 24-105 pointing straight down so I haven't noticed this on mine but I wouldn't be surprised.  Try using the AF-On button to keep the lens from inadvertent zooming.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

It was one of the first things I noticed on my 24-105.  After years of using my Sigma 17-70 on my last camera the action was extremely loose to the point where even a slight tilt would extend the lens.  I thought the bigger and heavier 24-105 would do the same, but it doesn’t.  I can point mine straight down and it stays put.  I hope it stays that way.

"Try using the AF-On button to keep the lens from inadvertent zooming."

It is the zoom he is concerned about not the focus.

"Most zoom lens including the 24-105 will move to the longest lens position due to gravity"

No, not really. But it does make a good case for lenses that do not “grow” as they zoom!Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

fossleje
Apprentice

My 24-105 also slips when pointed downward.  I solved the problem with a rubber band that I put at the edge of the zoom ring.  It simply adds enough friction to keep the lens from slipping but can easily be zoomed without interference.  There are bands you can purchase for a few bucks to do the same thing, but the rubber band (from some vegetables I purchased) is much less expensive and works just fine.  And if it wears out (about once per year) I throw it away and get a new one.

Thank you so much for your idea. It works!!!

c1video
Contributor

This is definitely not normal. Contact Canon customer service to have them fix it. Do it while it's still under warranty. I would not accept a workaround as someone above suggested.  Just get them to fix it---they'll be happy to do it.  Canon customer service for L lenses is terrific.

Announcements