cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-105 4L IS USM dropped, zoom ring too tight

KonaBolt
Apprentice

I recently dropped my EF 24-105 4L IS USM lens, and now the zoom ring is extremely tight, which causes issues when shooting video. Just wondering if this might be repairable or would be more practical to replae it. 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@KonaBolt wrote:

I recently dropped my EF 24-105 4L IS USM lens, and now the zoom ring is extremely tight, which causes issues when shooting video. Just wondering if this might be repairable or would be more practical to replae it. 

You should let a Canon Repair Center take a look at it.  Contact 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That's one nice thing about owning "L" glass. It is serviceable. You do need to have it evaluated because the 24-105mm f4 first model may hit the replacement price pretty quickly. It is/was one of Canon lowest priced "L" lenses and they made a ton of them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That's one nice thing about owning "L" glass. It is serviceable. You do need to have it evaluated because the 24-105mm f4 first model may hit the replacement price pretty quickly. It is/was one of Canon lowest priced "L" lenses and they made a ton of them.

The 24-105 is definitely worth saving (or replacing if that's cheaper). I consider it the ideal outdoor walkaround lens for a full-frame camera. It's pretty sharp and not too heavy, and its zoom range is just what you'd normally want for general street photography. I'd hate to be without it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes. I'm sold on the lens itself. Just trying to decide if it's cost effective to fix or should I buy a new one. It's still usable for photos, but the zoom ring is too stiff for video.  If not fixable maybe I can sell it to someone cheap who doesn't need video. 

@KonaBolt wrote:

Yes. I'm sold on the lens itself. Just trying to decide if it's cost effective to fix or should I buy a new one. It's still usable for photos, but the zoom ring is too stiff for video.  If not fixable maybe I can sell it to someone cheap who doesn't need video. 

Maybe, but the big problem with a dropped lens is that it can throw off the alignment of the lens elements, making it impossible to get the whole frame in proper focus.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I've already used it. No problem with the photo quality. 

@KonaBolt wrote:

The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is not a good choice for video.  

The aperture is too loud.  Iinstead of smoothly changing the aperture, the lens wants to change the aperture in discrete steps, which creates a lot of noise that is usually drowned out by your shutter. 

Aperture control is one of the main differences between USM and STM lenses.  Many of the USM lenses change aperture in discrete steps, as if they were imitating an aperture ring on a manual focus lens.  An STM lens changes apertaure smoothly, as if it were imitating the declicked aperture ring found on a cinema lens..

Its' design is also a little too old to take advantage of all of the features of Canon's Dual Pixel AF in Movie Servo AF mode.

678FDDF4-7AE2-43BF-84D1-CFACB2CE35A8.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"It's still usable for photos, but the zoom ring is too stiff for video."

It is now but how long is "now"?  Something is bent or dented or rubbing or something screwed up. You have a used lens in your hands so check out what you can buy another used lens for.  That is your limit for repair of your lens. BTW, if you were statified about the quality you got before the drop  shooting video, the above post is supercilious. After repair or replacement it will be as good as it ever was.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements