cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS - Best Wildlife Lens

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens with EOS-1 D X Camera

This revolutionary and versatile wildlife lens has been released. I have taken delivery now and have written a preliminary review of this production lens. Once I have put it through a few wildlife photo shoots, I will write a more detailed review. This lens is a wildlife photographer's dream when used with the EOS-1D X camera. Take a look at my review below. Keep checking back.  MichaelDanielHo.com

Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review

Canon EOS-1D X Camera Review

53 REPLIES 53

Alright, you started it. Dueling Canines on the tundra. Don't you just love watching and photographing bears? Visit my website to see more Bear photography. http://MichaelDanielHo.com

Dueling Canines - Polar bears sparing

Wow, what a shot. Amazing photography from an amazing lens. Love the photos on your website and the review of the lens. Apparently EISA agrees.

Canon200-400mm38.jpg

Dang, now I have to go out and shoot some more bears...not and unhappy thought.

No kidding. With wildlife sightings like this, I love to tag along.

@Artistlin wrote:
Dang, now I have to go out and shoot some more bears...not and unhappy thought.

Better hurry up and find more bears. I just came back from a Polar Bear shoot in Hudson Bay. The EF 200-400mm f/4L and the EOS-1D X are performing nicely for me. Visit my website to see more photos. 

http://MichaelDanielHo.compolarbear74.jpg

Nice one! I am heading up in that area next year...I hope my photos are as fun as yours!

Bring me along, either one of you guys. I can carry the gear and spot the wildlife. So jealous of your trips and equipment. 

Hi Artistlin. The EOS-1D X and EF 200-400mm combo continue to dazzle me especially now that there is a major firmware upgrade to the camera. This article from Canon Digital Learning Center will help to clarify the new enhancements of Firmware 2.0.3

I have loaded the new firmware and had only a limited opportunity to put it to a vigorous test but have noticed it caused a couple of mysterious Error code 80. Nothing too serious, just shut the camera down, reinsert the battery and it went away.  I visited an Elephant seal rookery last week and photographed the pupping season but there were not a lot of fast moving wildlife. The zoom capability of the EF 200-400mm and the built-in extender really worked well as I weaved my way through the colony. The sunlight was harsh and the scenes were extremely backlit but the lens experienced no flare and worked like a charm. This is really an amazing piece of glass. 

In about a couple of weeks, I will be going to Maui for a whale photo shoot and that will be the real test of the new firmware to see whether it is an improvement photographing breaching whales and fast moving dolphins. Also, I have been using Case #1 more and more since I find the other cases offer minute differences without much distinction. MichaelDanielHo.com

Happiness is having a Howling good time with Mom

Hi Michael, Thanks for your update. I am heading to the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo this week myself (if I can kick this cold), but will be bringing my 100-400 4.5 L IS with me. I am saving up for the 200-400 ...someday. Did you use a tripod while shooting? I use a 5D Mark III for the body...love that camera!

@Artistlin wrote:

Hi Michael, Thanks for your update. I am heading to the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo this week myself (if I can kick this cold), but will be bringing my 100-400 4.5 L IS with me. I am saving up for the 200-400 ...someday. Did you use a tripod while shooting? I use a 5D Mark III for the body...love that camera!

I have just returned from a whale photo shoot in Maui. Put the EOS-1D X, loaded with the Firmware 2.0.3, through a vigorous field test. The camera and EF 200-400mm f/4 lens came through with flying colors. It locked on the breaching Humpbacks with little difficulty, even in minimally contrasting scenes. Read my review of the lens here. Because I was riding in a fast moving zodiac, using the EF 200-400mm handheld was quite a challenge since the combo weighs about 11 pounds. I have to rest often since my arms get tired easily. http://MichaelDanielHo.com

Humpback Whales - The Ultimate Flying Machine

Announcements