cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS - Best Wildlife Lens

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens with EOS-1 D X Camera

This revolutionary and versatile wildlife lens has been released. I have taken delivery now and have written a preliminary review of this production lens. Once I have put it through a few wildlife photo shoots, I will write a more detailed review. This lens is a wildlife photographer's dream when used with the EOS-1D X camera. Take a look at my review below. Keep checking back.  MichaelDanielHo.com

Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review

Canon EOS-1D X Camera Review

53 REPLIES 53

Artistlin
Contributor

I was in southeastern Alaska recently as well and rented the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X lens for some wildlife shooting. I was not disappointed in the least, I came home with many fantastic shots of grizzlies (what I had gone up to shoot). My only personal issue was the weight of the lens almost precluded that it be mounted on a tripod for me to use effectively.

Grizzly Bear Cubs at Play

CanonUser
Enthusiast

Canon reached a historic milestone by  surpassing 100 million in EF lens production. The lens that put them over the top is the amazing EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X.  Canon Announcement

Canon 200-400mm f/4L IS Lens

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

Just came back from a wildlife photo shoot in the Pantanal, Brazil. The abundant wildlife include Jaguars, Caimans, Giant Anteaters, many species of birds, etc. Brought the EOS-1D X and EOS-1D Mk IV plus the EF 200-400mm f/4L and EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS lens. The EOS-1D X and EF 200-400mm f/4L combo worked like a charm again especially under high ISO condition, even when photographing moving wildlife. The itinerant Jaguar was photographed at dusk with ISO 5000 at f/4 and 400mm from a small, moving boat. Visit my website to see more wildlife photos.

Jaguar stalking in the Pantanal, Brazil

Superb shot of this elusive Jaguar. Love the direct eye contact. I understand you have ordered the new EF 400mm f/4 IS DO II lens. After you have taken delivery and used it on a few trips, do let us know how you compare it to the EF 200-400mm lens. Very interested in learning your experience with the Series II Diffractive Optics lens. Thanks.

Announcements