cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS - Best Wildlife Lens

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens with EOS-1 D X Camera

This revolutionary and versatile wildlife lens has been released. I have taken delivery now and have written a preliminary review of this production lens. Once I have put it through a few wildlife photo shoots, I will write a more detailed review. This lens is a wildlife photographer's dream when used with the EOS-1D X camera. Take a look at my review below. Keep checking back.  MichaelDanielHo.com

Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review

Canon EOS-1D X Camera Review

53 REPLIES 53

@Edward wrote:

This lens was long in coming and I recall seen with jealousy my Nikon friends with their 200-400 zooms.

I will be seriously considering this lens and after its reviews are posted in the web; will probably consider as a replacement for my 400 mm f 2.8 IS MKII.  I currently use 400mm lens with the 1.4X  about 90% of the time so the zoom f 4 opening will not be a concern.  I am glad that Canon is finally listening and moved the zoom ring to the front where its is more praticable to use and the focusing ring to the back while reducing its size.  I seldom using the focusing ring due to the new autofocus systems in both the 1Dx and the 5DIII.  My only concern with this lens is with the built-in 1.4X level; I wonder how waterproof it is; it looks like a perfect reservoir to collect water/debris.  I use my gear in wet areas and so far, the 400 mm and the newer cameras has worked without problems.  

Hi Edward. I have been informed by my equipment supplier my EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Explorer 1.4x lens may arrive in the next week or early June. I have also wondered about the extender switch area and whether it will collect dirt. No doubt it will be sealed against moisture but dirt and dust collection is another matter. I should have an answer for both of us once I have a chance to examine the lens in detail. Keep checking back.  http://MichaelDanielHo.com 

With the price on this lens, Canon is making the case for getting the 500/4L IS II instead for me.  At $10,300, roughly the same size, and nearly a pound lighter it's a better choice.  I'd rather have the raw quality of 500mm without an extender.  If they'd priced it as $9999, I might have gone for it...

Currenly using R5 and R7 mostly plus a variety of Canon RF and EF lens...

@JoeDavid wrote:

With the price on this lens, Canon is making the case for getting the 500/4L IS II instead for me.  At $10,300, roughly the same size, and nearly a pound lighter it's a better choice.  I'd rather have the raw quality of 500mm without an extender.  If they'd priced it as $9999, I might have gone for it...

Hi Joe. I agonized over the same dilemma as you in trying to decide between the EF 500mm f/4L IS II and the EF 200-400mm f/4l IS 1.4x but the versatility of the zoom and built-in extender won me over eventually. I have received the EF 200-400mm today and have written a preliminary review . Keep checking back to see if I have made the right decision. MichaelDanielHo.com 

@MichaelDanielHo wrote:

@JoeDavid wrote:

Hi Joe. I agonized over the same dilemma as you in trying to decide between the EF 500mm f/4L IS II and the EF 200-400mm f/4l IS 1.4x but the versatility of the zoom and built-in extender won me over eventually. I have received the EF 200-400mm today and have written a preliminary review . Keep checking back to see if I have made the right decision. MichaelDanielHo.com 

Thanks for posting your review of the EF 200-400mm f/4L lens. Judging from the photos, I can't see how one could regret owning this lens. Can't wait for more photos from your photo shoots once you return.  

@CanonUser wrote:

@MichaelDanielHo wrote:

@JoeDavid wrote:

Thanks for posting your review of the EF 200-400mm f/4L lens. Judging from the photos, I can't see how one could regret owning this lens. Can't wait for more photos from your photo shoots once you return.  

I am taking the EF 200-400mm out to get accustomed to its size and weight. I like to handhold the camera/lens combo as much as I can since this gives me the maximun flexibility and this lens can focus down the about 6.6 feet through its entire focal length. Amazing IQ and AF speed when mated to the EOS-1D X. Above photo taken handheld. Counting down to my first overseas wildlife photo shoot in 3 weeks. MichaelDanielHo.com

@JoeDavid wrote:

Hi Joe. So far I am quite impressed with the lens. A bit heavy but manageable and it's SO nice to be able to zoom with a Super telephoto lens. Take a look at my review. EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review

Humming Right Along

I am renting this lens to take on a bear shooting trip. Did you find the need for a gimble head? Would you recommend using a gimble? I am still a bit new in the wildlife photo world.

@Artistlin wrote:

I am renting this lens to take on a bear shooting trip. Did you find the need for a gimble head? Would you recommend using a gimble? I am still a bit new in the wildlife photo world.

I am taking this lens to Svalbard, Alaska, Africa and the Canadian Tundra in the next few months. I have never felt the need to use a Gimble head. Take a look at my review and see what equipment I use when I go on photo shoots.

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM extender 1.4x lens review 

Thank you! I would love to hear from others on their usage or not on gimble heads for larger lenses. I am trying to minimize the weight I will be taking (50 pounds limit).

If you’re a big lens user and you photograph things that move, a gimbal is the only way to go.”

From Shutterbug, http://www.shutterbug.com/content/gimbal-heads-essential-long-lens-accessory

They are simply fantastic. But unless you have a big lens probably unnecessary. I use a tripod as much as possible and a good head is essential.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements