cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 16-35 2.8 L II USM - focus issues

lydiapedro
Apprentice

I am an amauter photographer.

I acquirede the 16-35 lens a while ago - back in 2012.  My intentions, after reading reviews, were to have a flexible on to shot both inside and outside.  I use the 60D body.

Quite often I do have focus problems when shotting with 16-35.  I decided to go deep on my understanding of this lens.  I read all the forum and decided to do a test on my own.

Please, find below the link to two pictures taken outside close to sunset.  Both pictures do not have the ideal expousure.  But my question is related to focus.

Both pictures were taken at the same time, with the Av mode on and well as the AF.   For the AF, I had just 1 spot at the middle - in both pictures the focus target was the palm tree in the center of the picture.  I took the pictures holding the camera.

photo 1: 1/60 sec, f 10, ISO 200

photo 2: 1/640 sec, f/2.8, ISO 200

For my surprise, the picture with f/2.8 came totally out of focus, depite the high speed of shooting (in my mind I was likely to move at the lower speed).

Does anyone can help me understanding what happened?  Are the tips for me about using this set of lens?

Thanks in advance,

Pedro Oliveira

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k8mg31dayyf153z/AABmEKSawT6Fti2nvOXDCrsCa?dl=0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seems like no AF problem. If you want you can try a bit further away, but you need to understand how the autofocus point works. It is like a cross that is bigger than the square you see in the viewfinder and it will lock at everything that has a lot of contrast.

Btw, you shouldn´t use ISO 125, 250, 500, 1000 if you want to have less noise and more dynamic range. It is ISO 100, 200, 400 and 800 underexposed and pushed in camera.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Peter
Authority
Authority

The easiest way to test your lens is to test Live View vs Viewfinder AF. If it still is a difference then you should send it for calibration.

Dear Peter:

Thanks for trying to help me.  I did follow your suggestion, and, unfortunately, the two pictures came about the same.  I made both available in my dropbox:

test Live Mode-1 - picture shot with AF, focus on the center dot only

test Live Mode-2 - picture shot with Live mode, focus on the center as well

Pictures taken with manual adjustements, and I was holding the camera (no tripot).

As you will see, on the test you suggested, the two pictures came out about the same.  So, I guess, this eliminates the possibilily to being a lens problem.  Any other suggestion?

By the way, on searghing forums and reviews, it seems that I am not the only one facing problems in focusing with this type of lens.

Tks,

Pedro Oliveira

Seems like no AF problem. If you want you can try a bit further away, but you need to understand how the autofocus point works. It is like a cross that is bigger than the square you see in the viewfinder and it will lock at everything that has a lot of contrast.

Btw, you shouldn´t use ISO 125, 250, 500, 1000 if you want to have less noise and more dynamic range. It is ISO 100, 200, 400 and 800 underexposed and pushed in camera.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements