Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Autofocus suddenly not working

I'll have to make some notes on what my settings are currently before I jump straight into a factory reset. Then I'll do it and go snap some shots

Thanks for everyone's replies

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

"I may try that at some point with the custom settings."

BigE5yLMT.jpg

Yes stop!  You need to get back to square one first.  Do the reset and the daylight outdoor test.

"I still feel like it may be a camera setting I changed..."

You are right and you are going to chase your tail unless you start over.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP

"I'll have to make some notes on what my settings are currently ..."

There is little reason to do that.  They are wrong.  Most of the time the camera knows what to do.  People get into trouble when they tell it to do differently.  Don't try to over think a simple task.  Please do the reset and test.  If nothing else it will assure you that the camera/lens is working as it should.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate you responding and trying to help, truly I do. The custom settings is not something I'm going to do now, I'm well aware that was advice he was giving me to try out in the future. I guess I have come across as slow or ignorant so I apologize for not communicating clearly but your last messages are somewhat patronizing. 

It's not an exercise in futility to jot down current camera settings if I'm going to reset the camera; there are settings that have nothing to do with the lens autofocus that I may forget if I don't write them down. I just did it, it took about 15 minutes, and it gave me needed perspective. I can still reset the camera settings, what harm did that do? 

Highlighted
VIP

"...what harm did that do?"

Nothing, it's your camera. The advice is just a suggestion of what I have seen work over decades of photography experience.

"Autofocus suddenly not working"

This was the question, the reset confirms only that the camera/lens is working properly and the problem exists elsewhere.

Ultimately you have to do what you deem is right.