cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Range in Canon 6D Vs Canon 6D Mark II ?

Janabi79
Contributor

i am Using Canon 6D for Urban landscape Photography 

Thanks alot for the responses in this Canon Comunity earlier 1 year when i got the encorgment to buy the 6D instead of the 5D Mark III as 6D considered better in low light conditions ( as i am usually do photography during Night and Sunset ) 

So the question now is what about Dynamic Range in the New Canon 6D Mark II ,

is it better than the Canon 6D i have ? any advise ? recomandation ? 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is no significant improvement in low light performance with the 6D2.  The most significant improvements are with the AF systems.  It also has 30% higher resolution than the 6D.  It also creates much larger RAW files, roughly 40MB.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority

@Janabi79 wrote:

Thanks alot for the responses in this Canon Comunity earlier 1 year when i got the encorgment to buy the 6D instead of the 5D Mark III as 6D considered better in low light conditions ( as i am usually do photography during Night and Sunset ) 

To analyze, you can use dcraw and hraw tool. How I use them in the terminal in Ubuntu:

§ dcraw -E -4 -j -t 0 -s all 6D-II-raw-file.CR2

Open 6D-II-raw-file_0.pgm in GIMP or PS and count the black pixels to the left and on the top. With 6D II, it is 120px and 44px.

§ hraw analyze -i 6D-II-raw-file_0.pgm -m 120 44 -c G
ReadNoise=7.53556 DR@26=11.0403 DR@8=11.8956 file

With my 6D I got:

§ dcraw -E -4 -j -t 0 -s all 6D-raw-file.CR2

Open 6D-raw-file_0.pgm in GIMP or PS and count the black pixels to the left and on the top. With 6D, it is 72px and 38px.

§ hraw analyze -i 6D-raw-file_0.pgm -m 72 38 -c G

ReadNoise=4.7706 DR@20=11.453 DR@8=12.1201 file 

The image below shows the black area to the left and at the top. Measured to be 72px from the left.

Skärmbild från 2017-12-17 06-07-07.png

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Janabi79 wrote:

Janabi79,

No doubt the 6D2 id a great camera.  I love mine for several reasons.  I stepped up to it from a T6s.  Since you already own the 6D and it, for the most part sounds like its meeting your needs, I would not recommend the 6D2 for your situation.  While Canon did improve on just about every aspect of the previous body, the bump in performance between the 2 platforms is modest for someone coming from a 6D.  Because of this, I would suggest stepping up to a 5D4 (new or refurb).  If you were coming from another body as I did (like APS-C), I'd tell you to get the 6D2.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements