cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped lens, photos now dark - what could be wrong?

bmillar-au
Apprentice

Hello, I dropped a bag containing a Canon EF 70-300mm 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II USM lens, and now my photos are coming out really dark. As in, broad daylight ISO 100, f4, 1 sec exposure, and coming out dark. When the camera is set on auto mode, the ISO is being set to 12800 in bright conditions.

I believe the lens landed on the front corner, as there is a dent in the frame around the glass from the lens cap.

What could be the issue here? Any ideas? And any idea whether it would be an easy fix?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear of your accident.

This is going to require evaluation and repair from Canon or an authorized service center. 

No way around it. Sorry.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear of your accident.

This is going to require evaluation and repair from Canon or an authorized service center. 

No way around it. Sorry.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What could be the issue here? Any ideas?"

Was the camera in the bag also?  Smiley Sad

"And any idea whether it would be an easy fix?"

Probably not. The EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens is not one of Canon's best efforts.  I usually advise folks to avoid them. If it is out of warranty it may cost as much to fix as it costs new.  Certainly in the same range as a good used one.

Call Canon at 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Was the camera in the bag also?  Smiley Sad

Thankfully my 6d ii and 2 L series lenses were not in the bag!

Probably not. The EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens is not one of Canon's best efforts.  I usually advise folks to avoid them. If it is out of warranty it may cost as much to fix as it costs new.

Yeah? All the reviews I read before purchasing sounded pretty positive - I mainly do landscape and cityscape stuff, and rarely use a zoom lens, so I didn't want to spend a heap on it.

Announcements