cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does lenses box has to be sealed or not? (EF 50mm 1.2L)

iliachinkarev
Apprentice

I bought it from 3rd party (authorized distributor though) and now doubt it's authenticity.

The box has minor damage like it was dropped from about 3-4 feet. It also not sealed so it's easy to whoever holds it to replace the content.

Let's say the box (with the lense inside) was dropped from about 3-4 feet. How it could affect the lense performance? What about 6 feet? (I have no idea the actual height it was dropped from)

I paid $1300 for the lense and kind of nervous.

Thank you for your responses.

5 REPLIES 5

What does the vendor say? The really reliable vendors that most of us use would probably exchange it without hesitation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not every vendor is reliable.  The serial number on the box should match the serial number on the lens.  Furthermore, the warranty card should also have a matching serial number.  

Any drop is not good for camera gear.  If you suspect the lens may have been damaged [I know I would be suspect], then I would return the lens for a refund.  I would purchase the lens from another vendor.  

I purchase all of my Canon gear from two online sources.  Either directly from Canon, or from what is probably the largest Canon online retailer, B&H Photo Video, which is a NYC superstore.  Most of the regular users are the same way, and many have a local photo shop that they can use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two things.  One, I doubt a fall from 3 or 4 feet damaged the lens as long as it was inside a Canon box with packing.  Two, I would also return it if I had any doubt.  You will always wonder if you don't but it is most likely OK.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz

@iliachinkarev wrote:

What about 6 feet? (I have no idea the actual height it was dropped from)

I paid $1300 for the lense and kind of nervous. 

Return the lens for a refund. Purchase anew from a known and reputable source. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon camera and lens boxes are not sealed.   But the lens serial number, warranty card serial number, and box serial number (serial number of the lens inside is printed on the box) should all be the same number.

When you look at the serial number on the box you'll see a long value with several sets of parentheses in it.  The serial number are only the numbers following the final set of parentheses.   Those are the digits that you'll find printed on the lens and pre-printed on the warranty card inside.

Every L series lens I've ever purchased included a case or bag (for smaller lenses it's usually a gray suede bag that cinched closed with a drawstring) and L series lenses also include the lens hood. 

Depending on the extent of damage to the box, you may be worried how the lens took the damage.  Although these lenses are rugged and it would probably take quite a hard knock and still be fine.

Canon publishes their complete list of authorized dealers on their website. 

Is this lens a "USA" (imported for sale by Canon USA) or an "international" lens?  "International" lenses are the very same lenses but they weren't imported by Canon for sale in this market.  Vendors pick them up in other markets and import them on their own.  Canon USA doesn't typically service "international" lenses (this policy is typical across camera companies).  But sometimes the lenses are sold for slightly less and that attracts unsuspecting consumers who don't realize that their lens doesn't come with a Canon warranty and... worse, Canon USA doesn't even service the lens outside of warranty (even if you are willing to pay for the service).  Sometimes the store/dealer will provide their own warranty (but I'd much rather have my lens serviced by Canon).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements