cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone here have the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM DS? This thread is for you

BlueSkyApples
Contributor

I wish Someone WITH The DS version would show us how it performs in low light. I mean big deal, 1.3 stops of light lless tha the STandard NON- DS version on paper. Most make it seem like the lense will simply shut off if the light isn't bright. Let's say the inside of a church at a wedding, of night time outside. Does anyone here have this lense/ If so how do you feel about its low light performance?

as I understand it, the DS versions of the rf85mm 1.2 shoots like a 1.8 or f2 due to the coating and canons admitted 1.3 stops of light loss. Ive seen a few videos where people say the NON DS version is blurrier than the DS version, but simply has smooth bokeh I want to know your thoughts. I am presented with an opportunity  to purchase BOTH 70-200 and the 85 1.2 but wanted to know mores pecifically your response to the DS version.

Specifically in low light. Or natural light?

12 REPLIES 12

Any f1.2 is a speciality lens. They all require a learning curve for best results. I have both the ef 50mm f1.2L and the ef 85mm f1.2L. I love both of them but lot's of people don't. Neither is 'easy' to use at f1.2. The advice about renting one just might be a good idea for you.

I am still going to tell you they are not low light purpose lenses. Doesn't matter if it is an EF or RF or DS. The fact they all will take low light pictures is not the point. If that is your main most thing you will be disappointed. In the first place f1.2 is not a giant leap from f1.4. Think about that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ken Rockwell's review has lots of real-world examples

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/85mm-f12-ds.htm

Basically, it acts like an F/2 lens as far as exposure. If you want as much light as possible get the non-DS.

With modern ISO's F/2 is probably perfectly fine.

The DS is a specialty lens.

We on the forum are a subset of users.

R owners are a subset of that

R owners with this lens are a subset of *that*.

There is no guarantee that there is a user of this lens here.

If the goal is ultimate low-light capabilities, the widest possible aperture is a great tool.

Yes, ISO performance is outstanding these days.  Still, when you cannot add your own light to a scene and trying to also capture action without ending up with a blurry mess, I really like that I can go down to f/1.2.

When ISO is hovering around 6400 and shutter needs to be at least 1/125 or even 1/200, every little bit of wider aperture is great.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements