cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have experience with warranty service on "white box" lens purchases?

eaglemount
Apprentice

I am considering the purchase of a 24-105 L series lens.  Amazon lists that lens in the $800+ price range for what some call a "white box" version that is apparently taken from a full frame camera kit and sold separately.  I am curious to know if anyone has had any experience with Canon warranty service on such purchases. 

I can buy the lens used in my local market for under $700.  If the additional amount I would pay provides a warranty, I may consider buying the lens new in a white box to have the warranty protection in the event any adjustments are needed to the lens during the warranty period.  Some posts I have read on the internet give the impression that auto-focus adjustments are sometimes needed and the 60D I own does not have AF micro-adjustment capability so my only recourse for adjustments would be to have the lens serviced.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

c1video
Contributor

I would call Canon to get a definitive answer.

However, If you are in the U.S., you need to make sure that the lens has has a U.S. warranty card. As long as the lens has the warranty card, I think Canon should accept it for service.

As a kit lens, it's packaged just like a non-kit lens withouth the printed box, but once you open it, the inside packaging appears to be the same.  Again, I would make sure that that "white-box" lens has not been opened and that all of the registration/warranty cards are for the U.S.---especially if the seller is an Amazon "partner."

Announcements