cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all Cannon lens' fit all Canon camera's?

GRANNYLALA
Apprentice

Do all Canon lens" fit all Canon camera's?

27 REPLIES 27

isaiahmtz360
Apprentice

i recently bought a canon 90d and i hear the canon ef 135mm f2 lens is an amazing lens but will it fit since all cameras are different

You can use any EF or EF-S lens on the 90D.

No, crop sensor cameras can take EF or EF-S lenses. Full frame cameras only take EF lenses

@browne11 wrote:

No, crop sensor cameras can take EF or EF-S lenses. Full frame cameras only take EF lenses

And the 90D is a crop sensor, so your complaint is just what exactly?

"...so your complaint is just what exactly?"

Yeah, I didn't get that either. That's why I did the second reply!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think it was confusing because it was really an answer to two different questions.

Not all lenses can be used with just any camera body.  So the answer to the question in the subject line is 'no'.

But the specific question was if the EF 135mm lens would fit a 90D body, and in that case the answer is 'yes'.

The letters EF stand for 'electro focus'.  So all EF & EF-S lenses have electric focusing motors built-in.  The EF are the original EF auto-focusing lenses and these work with any Canon EOS film camera or any EOS camera DSLR camera.  There are a few lenses that don't have auto-focusing motors such as the MP-E 65mm extreme macro-focus lens as well as all of the TS-E (tilt-shift) lenses.

The EOS DSLR bodies with APS-C sensors have their own EF-S line (the S stands for "Short" back-focus because these lenses have a rear element that sits closer to the sensor than the EF lenses.  Canon can get away with this on the APS-C sensor bodies because they have a smaller articulating reflex mirror that doesn't need as much clearance.  So you CAN use an EF lens on these APS-C DSLR camera bodies, but not the other way around (you cannot use an EF-S lens on a Canon body with any sensor larger than APS-C susch as the APS-H or full-frame bodies).

Complicating things... Canon now has mirrorless lines.  They now make lenses dedicated to these mirrorless bodies and these lenses have much shorter back-focus (shorter even than the EF-S series).  BUT... Canon makes adapters so these mirrorless bodies can use the EF & EF-S lenses as long as you have the adapter (the adapter does not come with the camera, it's an accessory).

That sounds like a lot to remember... but for the 90D (a Canon EOS DSLR that has an APS-C size sensor) you can use:

(a) any EOS "EF" series lens

(b) any EOS "EF-S" series lens

(c) any EOS "TS-E" series (tilt-shift) lens, or

(d) the EOS "MP-E" extreme macro specialty lens

You CANNOT use

(e) the Canon EOS "EF-M" lenses, or

(f) the Canon EOS "RF" lenses

Those last two categories are designed for Canon "mirrorless" camera bodies.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"... the canon ef 135mm f2 lens is an amazing lens but will it fit ..."

Somewhat confusing answers but the answer to your specific question is, yes that lens will fit.

EB

"You can use any EF or EF-S lens on the 90D."

What he is saying is if you see "EF" or "EF-S" in the lens' name, it will fit your 90D. 

EB
Announcements