Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Do I Need a Lens Collar to Use a Monopod

I have a T3i and a Canon - EF 70–300mm f/4–5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens and a EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. Recently I have been getting way more blurry photos than sharp ones. I had my camera and lenses checked at a local camera store.There is a problem with the focus across the top of the 70-300 lens but the camera and 18-200 were fine. Since I can figure out nothing that I am doing differently I was thinking about getting a monopod as I thought I could use it from the car. Several places I go you are not allowed to get out to take pictures. This is my question: the 70-300 zoom lens and my 55-200 zoom lenses do not have lens collars. Do I need to get lens collars to put on them to use a monopod or tripod? Or since they don't come with them, does that mean I just put the camera body right on the monopod or tripod? Thank you! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do I Need a Lens Collar to Use a Monopod

ose lenses shouldn't need a collar. The monopod will work under the camera. Are you simply using too slow a shutter speed for the situation? 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Occasional Contributor

I use a shutter speed of 1/500 or up. Thanks.

Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is no provision on any of the lenses you mention to fit a tripod mounting ring. So it's not even possible (unless you manage to engineer and rig something up on your own).

The 70-200s, 70-300L, 100-400 and some other lenses either come with a tripod mounting ring or have provision for an optional ring.

Work on your technique, to get steadier shots. 1/500 should be good with a 200mm lens, but may not be fast enough to fully prevent camera shake with 300mm. But with practice it's often possible to use get sharp shots at slower speeds.

A monopod can help, whether your lens has a tripod ring or not. However, you'll only be able to do horizontal (landscape) orientation shots with it, unless you mount a small ballhead or some other type of head on top of the monopod. to allow vertical (portrait) orientation too.

A simpler possibility might be a "shooting stick" such as hunters sometimes use. This is essentially a monopod with a Y shaped piece on top, that you can rest the lens (or the barrel of a gun) in to steady the shot. I've never tried this personally, it just occured as an alternative that may work pretty well. 

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

VIP

[ Edited ]

You may enjoy one of these. Car mount.  <--- click  Smiley Happy

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!