Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Discontinued lenses

Hi, so I was looking for some new lenses and am curently looking to buy a 15mm fisheye f2.8 on amazon for $615 but it says discontinued by manufacturor. Dose this mean that canon stopped making this product and if so should i not buy this lense or would it be ok to buy please let me know.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Discontinued lenses

[ Edited ]

Canon currently only makes the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens.  Seen here:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_8_15mm_f_4l_fisheye_usm

They previously made an EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye but that lens is discontinued (here's a link to it's old product page):

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/lenses/ef_15mm_f_2_8_fisheye

As it is discontinued, I'm wondering if you were looking at a "used" lens.  The lens was a Canon EOS lens and would be compatible with all Canon EOS cameras. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Occasional Contributor

ok yeah i feel dumb its used 

Esteemed Contributor

@BigJake93 wrote:

ok yeah i feel dumb its used 

So if you want/need a fisheye, offer them $205 (a third of what they asked) and, of course, insist on free shipping. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

The EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens is one fun lens!  Let me tell you it is a real pleasure to use.  It is limited only by your imagination.  It works well and any size sensor APS-C, APS-H, or FF.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.