cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone tell me if there's a canon that works with lenses 52-58mm?

Manuel6
Apprentice

Could someone tell me if there's a canon that works with lenses 52-58mm?

6 REPLIES 6

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Can you be more specific.  Canon makes a LOT Of lenses (and there are a lot more lenses that they used to make.)

All EOS bodes can mount Canon EOS "EF" lenses.  EOS bodies with "APS-C" sensors can generally mount any "EF-S" lens or "EF" lens (I think only the Canon 10D was an exception).

Do you own a lens are trying to find out what body it works with?  Or perhaps you have a Canon body are trying to find a compaitble lens in the right focal length?

One last thing... if you are looking at a lens, note that the lens has a focal length but ALSO usually has the filter thread diameter printed on the front (and both 52mm and 58mm are common filter thread diameters) so you'd want to be sure you're not confusing the filter diameter with the focal length.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I mean i have a poraloid 52-58mm lenses so i need a canon that works with those types of lenses.

Like Tim, I'm really having trouble understanding your question....

"Polaroid 52-58mm lenses" just doesn't tell us very much and could be several things... Filters, Close-Up Filters, and Accessory Lens Converters are three that come to mind

Filters are added to lenses for special effects such as polarizing, for example. 52mm and 58mm are very commonly used sizes of filters. Sometimes people mistakenly refer to filters as "lenses".

There are also "close-up filters", sold individually or in sets, that come in various diameters and strengths of magnification. Like other filters, these screw into the front of a regular lens.  

There are also teleconverter and wide angle accessory lens converters. These are not normally used on digital SLRs. Instead they are most often used on compact cameras with permanently attached lenses, such as the Canon Powershot series. Among the Powershot models, 52mm and 58mm are diameters often used for these, too. An adapter is used with these, to mount the accessory lens in front of the regular lens.

The Polaroid name is used on many different things. So if you could give us more info or even offer a photo of the item or point us to a website showing one, we might be better able to help you.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

I will offer a stab at this ambiguous query. Smiley Frustrated

Are you referring to a polarizer filter lens? Confused with the word Polaroid? One is a brand of camera and the other is a filter lens attachment for any camera lens. The Canon 35mm f2 uses 52mm filters so if this is in fact your question than, yes, is the answer.

BTW, it must be of the circular type or it may not work well with Canon cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The Original Poster is probably asking about these "add-on" lenses.   They have a 58mm filter thread but also include a 52mm adater so they will fit ANY camera as long as the lens had a 52mm or 58mm filter thread on the front.

Polaroid Studio Series 52/58mm 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Polaroid+Studio+Series+52%2F58mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=...

52-58.jpg

Mike Sowsun

amfoto1
Authority

Aha! Yes, I bet you are right.

That's an accessory "converter" lens for use on many of the point n shoot models, such as Canon's "Powershot" models. The one shown appears to be a wide angle converter (0.43X). There are also telephoto versions. And, in some cases, macro versions.  

The Canon G-series use 58mm size accessory lenses. I am not familiar with the Polaroid branded accessory lenses, but have very similar Canon brand wide angle and tele accessory lenses for an old G5 of mine. They can be used on more recent G-series models too.  Currently  the G16 and G15, for example.

The accessory lenses are somewhat universal. You just need to buy the correct adapter tube to usethe add-on lens on the particular camera. The G16 and G15 both use the LA-DC58L adapter tube, for example. Each camera uses a specific tube.

There's a button on the front of the camera that allows you to remove a trim ring around the base of the lens, then the tube attaches via a bayonet mount in it's place.and the accessory lens simply screws into the front of that adapter tube. Usually you also have to set the camera's zoom to a particular position when using these, for optimum effect and image quality. Check the camera manual for specifics.

Some of the Canon A-series cameras also can be fitted with the accessory lenses, again using an adapter tube.

Note, too, that many of these add-on lenses will block the camera's viewfinder (if it has one), so it might be necessary to use the LCD screen on the camera back to compose your image.

I don't know about the other Canon compact camera series. You can look any of them up on Canon USA's website and click on the Supplies & Accessories link to see. Current camera models show up initially. But you can search for older models and get info on those, too, if needed. I imagine other Canon websites internationally offer the same.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements