cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison

A1original
Contributor

Just thought that I would ask: Has anyone had personal experience using/owning the Canon 70~200mm f/2.8 USM II lens and the older Canon 200mm f.2.8 prime lens. I have rented the zoom and was impressed with the image quality, but the physical size and weight were extreme for carrying around an event all day. I haven't rented the prime lens yet but I'm interested to see if the image quality is comparable.

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Let me put it this way, I am not a big fan of the EF 200mm f2.8.  I am a huge fan of the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II.

As a matter of fact I believe it to be the best lens on the planet.  So that is where I am coming from just so you know.  The very last lens to leave my hands, when time comes, will be the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II.  It is that good.

It is probably twice as heavy as the prime 200mm.  But the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II is better in every other aspect.  Even in sharpness, IQ, CA, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1,thanks for the reply. I quess no one else has any experience with the 200 prime. I guess I will rent one to see for myself. Like I said, the only thing that concerns me is the size, weight, and color of the zoom. I have to agree with you, the IQ of the lens is superb.

@A1original wrote:

ebiggs1,thanks for the reply. I quess no one else has any experience with the 200 prime. I guess I will rent one to see for myself. Like I said, the only thing that concerns me is the size, weight, and color of the zoom. I have to agree with you, the IQ of the lens is superb.

Don't sneer at the color. A large black lens on a bright sunny day can generate a lot of heat. Heat makes metal parts expand, and that in turn can cause relative motion of lens elements, which can't be a good thing. It can easily be argued that light-colored lenses are inherently better.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob, not really sneering at the color. It's just a little less intimidating to a lot of people. I do believe that Canon made this lens white just for the reason you bring up. I also think the black lens could be , should I say, snuck into some places the big white lens would be spotted. Man Happy

Of course the results or product that each lens prodices is up to the user.  But the tests, and I do a lot of my own, shows a pretty substantial increase in sharpness with the 70-200mm f2.8L II over the prime.  For instance on my 1Ds Mk III, it gives 4 more preceptual Mpix than the 200mm prime does.  If that is important to you, it is a BIG DEAL.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I have the original EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (not the "II") and do not own the 200mm f/2.8 (but do own the 300mm f/2.8L IS USM).

f/2.8 telephoto lenses are all heavy (all f/2.8 lenses are heavier than their higher focal-ratio counterparts).  This is because in order to achieve a lower focal ratio (larger aperture opening) the whole lens needs a physically wider diameter.  That translates into larger glass elements... which translates into "thicker" glass elements, which results in stronger CA issues, which then requires exotic low-dispersion "glass" and more "corrective" elements to reduce/elminate the CA.  All that adds up to more weight, more weight, and more weight.  So they are heavy lenses... by definition -- but we sure do love the results these lenses can achieve!

Whenver anyone mentions the "weight" issue, I immediately translate that to "comfort".  I didn't like my heavy body and heavy lenses when I had the traditional "neck" strap.  But I switched to a "sling" strap and that made a HUGE difference.  Having the strap on your opposite shoulder  instead of around your neck makes a really big difference with respect to comfrot.  Suddenly the same amount of weight doesn't seem so heavy anymore.

I happen to use a Black Rapid strape, but there are lots of options on the market.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements