cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Filters

awioa
Contributor

I was wondering is someone could tell me what you would use a pink, purple, brown and grey colored filter for?

I know what red, orange, yellow, green and blue are primarily used for but I can't find anything that tells me about these four.

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Nothing!   Filters are largely a thing of the past with digital.  The possible exception is a polarizer and maybe a ND. All this can be done in post processing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yep - Circular Polarizers, Neutral Density Filters, and Gradient Netrual Density filters are extremely useful.  The colored filters were useful with film when your ability to adjust the image after it was captured was a bit more limited.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Yep - Circular Polarizers, Neutral Density Filters, and Gradient Netrual Density filters are extremely useful.  The colored filters were useful with film when your ability to adjust the image after it was captured was a bit more limited.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a use for a pink, purple, or brown filter, even in the film days. Maybe the pink is what we used to call a "skylight" filter, but I can't remember ever seeing a purple or brown filter.

One that the OP didn't mention that did exist was a blue filter; it was supposed to correct an untinted flash bulb for use with daylight color film. I don't recall it being used much; I think most of us preferred blue-tinted bulbs.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Back in the day, I had gel filters in every 1/2 shade in a set.  Including brown and pink.  I never used them than and see no reason for them now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

awioa
Contributor

Thank you for your help. I was given a complete set of colored filters. It sounds like if I ever use these ones it will just be for a special effect. Man Wink

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements