cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean Lens Case LP1222 properly

robotron
Apprentice

Hi there, 

The lens case that shipped with my EF16-35 f/2.8L III USM got a little dirty. It's the LP1222. 

Can I throw it in the washing machine without risking any damage? 

-robotron

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Washing Machine...  you can, but it won't be the same.

Hand wash...  the same holds true.

If you're that concerned buy another one. 

They are $9 - $50 depending on condition and who you buy from.. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

Washing Machine...  you can, but it won't be the same.

Hand wash...  the same holds true.

If you're that concerned buy another one. 

They are $9 - $50 depending on condition and who you buy from.. 

If you do decide to try washing the old case, make sure that you get it fully dry. The padding can trap water, and you don't want anything wet in contact with the lens. The case may have to spend a fair amount of time in the dryer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for responding! 

I bought the lens used and don't know what the previous owner did with the case. The lens is in pristine condition but the case smells a little funny. I think it's worth throwing it into the washing machine before spending any money on a new one.

I personally don't really care how the case looks and pretty much don't ever use it anyways. 

-robotron

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Let's see here, a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens is $2000 and a new case is, "... are $9 - $50 depending on condition and who you buy from...".  Hmm, sounds like a no brainer to me. When did it make sense to you to risk a $2000 lens on a cheap case?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry, but I don't really see how washing a lens case equals putting a lens at risk. As a society, we already cause enough pollution to the environment. I don't understand why I shouldn't try to wash it. If it breaks, I can still buy a new one. 

Also no offense here, but the cases provided by Canon (except the ones for great white primes) don't offer any serious protection, at all. The only thing I'm using it for is scratch protection. The LP1222 goes inside another bag that does offer bump/drop protection. If all else fails, my $2000 lens is covered by insurance. 

EDIT: the reason I originally asked was because I figured someone may have any specific recommendations on how to wash it or someone may go "it'll instantly fall apart if you throw it into the washing machine". 

It is your case and it is your lens, you need to do as you see fit.  Personally I don't know anyone that uses the soft Canon cases, at least to put lenses in.

I see folks do some seemly out of reason things. A $2000 lens deserves a simialr level of concern for its safety. IMHO, of course, which when combined with a buck or two will get you a McCafe.

I see people put a $50-$60 dollar protecto filter on a $100 lens and vise versa a $10 filter on a $1000 lens. People buy a top dollar Canon camera like the 5D Mk IV and then try to find and use the cheapest off brand lens they can find.  But, whatever, floats your boat.

EB

I haven't ever used the soft cases to transport lenses, either.

I usually use the LowePro Whistler 350 to transport gear when I need to bring lots of stuff. This time I'm flying half way around the world, need to bring a lot of stuff and the 16-35 is the only piece of gear that doesn't fit in the LowePro. So I was planning on putting the 16-35 in my laptop bag. I'm just gonna use the soft case to protect it from the metal pieces in my laptop bag (laptop charger, card reader, etc.)

I agree. People do some unreasonable stuff. Don't think that's the case here. 

Hey, man, sounds like a plan.  I hope you have a great trip and bring back some photos to share.

EB
Announcements