cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing my 50mm f/1.4

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I see there's a 50mm f/1.4 FD lens and a USM lens, What's the difference between them?
Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@idanidan123 wrote:
I have the 70D, if that makes any difference.

Just to be clear... 

You need to use Canon "EOS" lenses.  The EOS line is split into a few categories... the major categories are EOS "EF" lenses and EOS "EF-S" lenses.  Your camera can use either the EF or EF-S lenses (full-frame bodies can only use "EF" lenses, but your camera body has an APS-C size sensor which means it can also use "EF-S" lenses).    

Canon also makes a few speciality lenses which include their tilt-shift lenses designated EOS "TS-E" and there a speciality macro-photo lens called the EOS "MP-E".  Your camera can use those lenses as well.

HOWEVER... Canon started producing some EOS "mirrorless" camera bodies called the EOS "M" series and they make a special line of lenses just for those cameras called the EOS "EF-M".  Your camera is NOT compatible with the EF-M (mirrorless camera) lenses.

Lastly... there are third party lens makers such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokin, and others.  As long as those lenses are designed for Canon EOS mount, then you can use them.  Just be careful because those 3rd parties make lenses for lots of camera brands and only the lenses with Canon EOS mount will (hopefully) work.  Every so often there are compatibility issues with the electronics because the lens makers have to try to reverse engineer the connection.  Typically this happens if the 3rd party lens is very old and your camera is very new -- so your camera has features that didn't exist back when the used 3rd party lens was originally designed.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am curious, where did you see a, "I see there's a 50mm f/1.4 FD lens ...", for sale? 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

on eBay.

@idanidan123 wrote:
on eBay.

I suggest you do a search on these forums for "eBay".  Witness how many people bought something that didn't work.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-50mm-f-18-stm-refurbished 

You want a used lens.  I suggest that you buy a refurbished lens directly from Canon, with a one year warranty.  I have bought a few items from the Canon Refurbished Store. 

The Refurbished Store gear is a best buy.  All of it seems to be inspected by hand, and brought back up to factory specifications, if any repairs are needed.  I suspect that much of the gear is simply customer returns for refunds.

After having worked for a major manufacturer of electronic gear, I can tell that that manufacturer would accept returns on gear that was highly defective, but would turn it over to their research labs for fault analysis.  They wanted to know WHY, why did it fail. 

Faulty gear was often more valuable to keep than to repair and resell.  The worst of it, they chunked.  The rest of it they used for training technicians.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A lot of top retailers use ebay so it isn't as bad as one would lead you to believe.  Adorama, KEH, Roberts, and more use ebay.

However, a Canon 50mm, unless it is the lofty 50mm f1.2L, is not a good thing to buy used.  I suppose if you found a nice f1.4 model, it is OK but not any of the f1.8.  They are not a repairable lens and only cost a $120 bucks or so brand new.  Better price in the refurb store as mentioned.  Just make sure it says EF and not FD in its name.

EB

"A lot of top retailers use ebay so it isn't as bad as one would lead you to believe.  Adorama, KEH, Roberts, and more use ebay."

A lot of top retailiers do use eBay. 

Unfortunately, there are a few retailers who are less than the best.  You also have to pay attention to who the retailer is going to be.  It is better than what it used to be when it first started up, much better, in fact.  Much of the same can also be said about Amazon. 

I just prefer to deal with the retailers directly, instead of going through a middle man, like eBay.  You tend to get more detailed information about a given product by going directly to the retailer, instead of what you can get on eBay or Amazon.

"I just prefer to deal with the retailers directly, ..."

That is fine and your choice but is no confirmation ebay is all bad.  Likewise a bad deal from Amazon does not condemn all of it either.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I just prefer to deal with the retailers directly, ..."

That is fine and your choice but is no confirmation ebay is all bad.  Likewise a bad deal from Amazon does not condemn all of it either.

Never said all of either was bad, just the opposite, in fact.  Both sites are for window shoppers, which means not for me.

Food for thought.  How many lenses or cameras have you purchased through eBay or Amazon? 

I confess I use ebay sparingly and Amazon almost never.

But statements like, "I suggest you do a search on these forums for "eBay".  Witness how many people bought something that didn't work.", seem to indicate a negative attitude towards ebay.  Plus other posts from the past.

What I have bought through ebay has been fine.  No problems and no issues.  Mostly parts, and I also confess I usually know what I am wanting.

Most companies are not as good as the happiest customer and likewise most companies aren't as bad as the disgruntled one.  Of course I know there are exceptions but don't you really think so in a general sense?    

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I confess I use ebay sparingly and Amazon almost never.

But statements like, "I suggest you do a search on these forums for "eBay".  Witness how many people bought something that didn't work.", seem to indicate a negative attitude towards ebay.  Plus other posts from the past.

What I have bought through ebay has been fine.  No problems and no issues.  Mostly parts, and I also confess I usually know what I am wanting.

Most companies are not as good as the happiest customer and likewise most companies aren't as bad as the disgruntled one.  Of course I know there are exceptions but don't you really think so in a general sense?    

I have always openly admitted my negative opinoin for both of them, AND the fact that I would never buy anything more costly than a paperback. My negative opinion is rooted in their earliest days. 

If one is not thoroughly familiar with what you're purchasing, and who you're purchasing it from, then I would not advise, or encourage, any one to use those sites.  I have watched, first hand, just how bad they were, and how they have dramatically improved over the years.  They're great for small stuff, but highly inadvisable for big ticket items.

"...but highly inadvisable for big ticket items."

In your opinion.  Many, many folks have nothing but success and praise for both.

EB
Announcements