cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon with lense to take close ups of butterflies

fishcrow
Contributor

I want to buy a good quality, used Canon to principally take close up pictures of butterflies.

I would then transfer the pics to my computer for identification and storage.

Not being very technical, I want ONE lense , and a simple well-priced camera.

I would appreciate any advice on models and an accompanying lense.

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

If you're willing to go used then I think you could get an ok setup for $400 with some digging.  I'd imagine you could probably find a decent condition 400D with a 55-250 for that price, maybe even a 450D.

From B&H, a very reputable dealer:

The 55-250 for $175:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/543923/Canon_2044B002_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

And your choice between just about any of the Rebel line depending on how much you want to spend.  Looks like you could probably get a 400D or 450D for the budget, they’re just out right now.  The 350D is going for $140, and the 500D is $350:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Canon&ci=15488&N=4294182649+4291570227

fishcrow
Contributor

I met a guy in Myrtle Beach who had recently bought a Canon SX -50 and he raved about it. He was a long time nature photographer and his wife was carrying a SX -40 and she loved it as well. He thought that the SX-50 would be just right for me and my needs.  It was also recommended by another fellow on the boardwalk who was through with heavy foot-and-a- half long  lens.

I am concerned about the shutter speed and the need to take a number of pictures quickly, but I'm going to talk to a few camera store guys .

Its selling for   $399.00 plus tax ( $349.00 with my $1.00 plastic "garage sale" camera  as a trade-in).

Thanks again to all of you ; your comments would be appreciated.

Michael

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the Canon  SX 50 for $369.00 plus tax. They didn't have an appropriate camera bag , but I guess that I could adapt something involving the packaging that it came in and a leather larger bag that could also hold a bird and butterfly guide.

Thanks everyone , for your advice.

Michael

Announcements