cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon to discontinue 10 more EF lenses?

John_SD
Whiz
Canon Rumors, Peta Pixel, and other sites are reporting that Canon will be discontinuing 10 more EF lenses, bringing the total to 24. This is no time to be buying into dead tech, IMO. The future is here, like it or not. I think it is ill advised to be recommending DSLRs at this point. Mirrorless is the near future and increasingly the present.
13 REPLIES 13

And I totally misread your comment 🤦‍♂️

RF to EF isn't physically possible. It's something I asked about when the EOS R was launched. The flange on the RF mount is so much larger (54mm), and it has 12 pins with more circuitry in the lenses that the EF mount won't understand. The EF mount is backward compatible with the RF mount using the adapter, but it won't work the other way around. Sorry Smiley Sad

DigitalByDesign
Contributor
So, if an amateur uses an EOS 1D X Mk IIi or a R5 does that make that user a professional photographer? Does the basic camera that Ansel Adams used to take his landscape photos make him an amateur photographer? Where does "not pro level" end and "yes pro level" begin? A $1,000 camera body? $2,000? $4,000? Can someone be a professional photographer if they don't own a Canon L Series lens to take their pictures?

In a controlled studio lighting environment does the price of the camera body matter as much, or more than, the skill of the user? How many autofocus points do you need to take an in focus photo? What kind of advanced light metering do you need to set your exposure for a lighting set up?

I can see perhaps frames per second and a thousand autofocus points being helpful for action work for race cars and pro level sporting events, but do you need them for a landscape shot or a still life?

If tools matter more than the skill and knowledge to use them effectively, then anyone, no matter how adept, is a professional if they lay out thousands for a camera body and thousands for a high end lens. Oh, and they have to be just the right brands because there are clearly only certin manufacturers who make professional quality products, say Canon and Nikon. But Sony can't be professional quality because they evidently only make low quality, low end consumer grade products that are nowhere near capable of being used for professional or commercial work.

I'm laying on the sarcasm heavy because your logic calls for it. It's amazing how professional photographers managed before such cutting edge technology existed. It must have been sheer dumb luck that allowed professionals to create high quality work with such "primitive" technology.
Still have - AT-1, AE-1 Program, Rebel II; Kalimar K-90/1000 Pentax clone
Rebel T7 gifted to me - A reminder to *always* examine a new camera in person, not trust reviews and reviewers (Deleting the center hotshoe contact? Really?)
Fotodiox lens adaptors for Canon FD and Pentax K to EOS EF mounts.
Former film fanatic, digital by design now as I rekindle my love of photography

"... if an amateur uses an EOS 1D X Mk IIi or a R5 does that make that user a professional photographer?"

No, it does not.

"Does the basic camera that Ansel Adams used to take his landscape photos make him an amateur photographer?"

No, it does not.

"Where does "not pro level" end and "yes pro level" begin?"

It begins and ends with the design, build and construction of the camera and/or gear. A simple comparison of a Rebel and a 1 series should make it blatantly obvious but apparently it isn't so obvious to some.

"Can someone be a professional photographer if they don't own a Canon L Series lens to take their pictures?"

Yes, they can! The big difference is, pro level gear is designed to be used day in and day out for years without issue. It is designed to be there, depended to be there, when the job is started. It has nothing to do with the talent level of the person.

Canon will make a 1 series mirrorless R camera. When is the only question. They are getting close now, very close.

canon_eos_r3.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" It's amazing how professional photographers managed before such cutting edge technology existed."

Not really ever hear of the F1 and F1n or the Nikon F3 as examples?

450px-Canon_F-1_(13746363604).jpg

1024px-Nikon_F3_with_HP_viewfinder.jpeg

Perhaps the Graflex.........

800px-Graflex_speedgraphic_medium_format,_1.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements