cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon or Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 lens on an EOS Rebel XSI - Advice?

LaneW
Enthusiast

My only camera, coming from the film days, now is a little Rebel XSI kit setup. I want to upgrade to a good telephoto for wildlife, birds, etc and am looking at the Canon and Tamron 70-200 for the fixed aperture and focal length - would probably add a 1.4 converter.

Is it a silly idea to ad an good lens like these to this little camera? Which is recommended?

Thanks

Canon R5, 80D. EF 100-400 ii, 1.4 ii TC. RF 800 F/11. RF 24-105 F/4
21 REPLIES 21

"...ebiggs1 had mentioned the 80D..."

You will love it. Enjoy!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@LaneW wrote:

OK, well now you've done it. Before buying a lens I am going to upgrade my camera from my little xsi. ebiggs1 had mentioned the 80D as a good option, maybe a bit pricy for me but do-able.  Other suggestions for a mid range Canon? 

Well, the 7D Mark II, obviously, although at this point you may want to wait for the Mark III. And it's sort of on the border between mid-range and professional, in both quality and price.

But the 80D is a fine choice by all accounts. (I've never used one, so I can't give a personal testimonial.) Every now and then, Canon comes up with a real winner in the n0D series. The 50D was one, and it's probably fair to say that the 80D is one too.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements