cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon or Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 lens on an EOS Rebel XSI - Advice?

LaneW
Enthusiast

My only camera, coming from the film days, now is a little Rebel XSI kit setup. I want to upgrade to a good telephoto for wildlife, birds, etc and am looking at the Canon and Tamron 70-200 for the fixed aperture and focal length - would probably add a 1.4 converter.

Is it a silly idea to ad an good lens like these to this little camera? Which is recommended?

Thanks

Canon R5, 80D. EF 100-400 ii, 1.4 ii TC. RF 800 F/11. RF 24-105 F/4
21 REPLIES 21

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well there is no doubt it will work.  Whether it is a silly idea is up to you!

I will tell you that a 200mm lens even with a 1.4x tel-con is not enough FL for birds. Particularly for small birds in general.

A better idea would be the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon.  If you like the idea of using a tel-con then you could opt for the very good Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens. It is a littler more expensive but folks tell me it works well. I am not a tel-con fan so I would still opt for the big Tammy.

The nice thing is either of these suggested lenses will travel to a more current camera if/when you decide to go there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hey, thank you!  I will look at those options. I was leaning toward the 50 - 200 just because of the f 2.8 fixed aperture, Thinking I would appreciate the extra light when shooting darker situations. I dont know how concerned I should be about the f/5-6.3 in the Tamron that you mention. I'll look at it.

Another question - does this Rebel XSi have the capabiltly of using the IS capability of any of the Canon lenses and VC in the Tamrons?  Should I really be looking at a little more camera?

IS should work fine. That is the nice thing about the Canon system, IS is up to the lens, so it can be optimised for that particular lens. Then again, it means you have to buy an IS system with each lens. 8^)

The only issue with an XSi is that the battery might not be able to handle the IS and focus on a large lens for very long.

"The only issue with an XSi is that the battery might not be able to handle the IS and focus on a large lens for very long."

Not a concern but if it is, a second battery will cure that.

EB

Thanks for the great info.... big help.  I am looking at both the Tamron and Canon 100 - 400 options mentioned. I guess I'm a little stuck on the idea of the fixed aperture and the f 2.8 speed which is appealing on the 70-200. But then I am also finding that speed is not a critical as it was when I was shooting film. Should I be concerned about f 4.5 - 5.6 for armateur work? 

"Should I be concerned about f 4.5 - 5.6 for armateur work? "

No, not for amateur or professional work. It makes no difference.  It is what it is. Thousands upon thousands of these lenses are in use every day with great success. To make a 500mm or 600mm lens like this in a f2.8 version would be cost prohibited by most of us and be so heavy most of could not carry it.

"...the f 2.8 speed which is appealing on the 70-200."

I think you are missing the main most point here. 200mn is not enough FL for shooting birds unless they are stuffed. It has nothing to do with the faster f2.8 aperture. 

EB

No, I get the point completely. Thats why I was thinking I would have to add a TC to get the added focal length. No I am leaning toward a 100 - 400 and comparing Canon's to Tamron's. Reviews I'm seeing dont seem to justify the additional cost of the Canon....

@LaneW wrote:

No, I get the point completely. Thats why I was thinking I would have to add a TC to get the added focal length. No I am leaning toward a 100 - 400 and comparing Canon's to Tamron's. Reviews I'm seeing dont seem to justify the additional cost of the Canon....

The Canon lens is worth the price.  It focuses very quickly,  It is razor sharp.

2320540014832018_06_021001646.jpg

I doubt if the Tamron focuses as fast.  Buy the right lens, the first time.  You will save a lot of money.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I am leaning toward a 100 - 400 and comparing Canon's to Tamron's."

Now for the truth.  In the real world you will see no difference in performance AF wise or IQ wise between the two.  It is your decision to make. What it boils down to is do you want the extra 200mm from 400mm to 600mm in a native FL?  If, yes, than the Tammy G2 is for you.  Want to stick with Canon, it is a great lens in every right. 

IMHO, if you do want to stick with a 400mm lens I would pick the EF 400mm f5.6L prime lens.  I tried to like the 100-400mm twice.  Yeah, I bought it twice, but sold them in favor of the 400mm prime. BTW, the 400mm is about $1100 an dthe 100-400mm is around $1800.  If that makes any diff to you.

EB
Announcements