cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon lens

nikhilkgomes
Apprentice

Hey all, I have a canon EOS 1300D. So far I have just been using the 18-55mm kit lens. I am now in the market for a new lens. I am looking at doing quite a lot of wildlife photography and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a cheapish, good beginners lens? TIA 🙂

18 REPLIES 18

There is also a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II ... an outstanding lens.  

Among people who frequently shoot birds .... the 150-600mm seems to be the favorite.  Canon does not make one but both Sigma and Tamron do (actually I think they both make two apiece.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Among people who frequently shoot birds .... the 150-600mm seems to be the favorite.  Canon does not make one but both Sigma and Tamron do (actually I think they both make two apiece.)

Thank you for your excellent suggestion.  I have one actually, but again I have a different purpose! Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@TCampbell wrote:

Yes, that is an outstanding lens.  Expensive, but it can capture razor sharp images.

A lens with a 100-400mm focal range used on an APS-C sensor body would have an “equivalent” focal range of 160-640mm.  This is very close to using 150-600mm on a full frame sensor body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
Yes, that is an outstanding lens.  Expensive, but it can capture razor sharp images.

A lens with a 100-400mm focal range used on an APS-C sensor body would have an “equivalent” focal range of 160-640mm.  This is very close to using 150-600mm on a full frame sensor body.

Asbolutely agree.  I love the 100-400 L MkII combined with the 1.4MkIII adaptor it has an amazing reach with high quality imges.  See...

7D2_1591-1.jpg

THis was taken hand-held on the 7DII+100-400MKII+1.4xMkIII giving an EFL of around 900mm.

I am looking for a much shorter range (hence the 70-200) of really good quality but lighter than my 70-200 2.8MkII.  I am carrying an injury right now so weight is a bit of a factor "the best camera (lens) is the one you are prepared to carry!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

What, no love for the 70-300 DO?

@kvbarkley wrote:

What, no love for the 70-300 DO?

Not so much...Smiley Very Happy   the reviews I saw indicated that it wasn't that good a lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"No the black one. Non-L, note the II"

The white one, yes.  The black ones, no.  IMHO, as always.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"No the black one. Non-L, note the II"

The white one, yes.  The black ones, no.  IMHO, as always.

Oh, absolutely agree the L lenses are generally better than the black ones - although I would defend the 15-85 because of its place as a speciality APS-C lens and it produces some great results - that extra 3 degrees at the wide end can make a big difference.  A lot of those choices are pegged to the available budget - that's why I always ask someone who wants to know what lens to buy that question amongst all those others.  Otherwise the inquirer gets a list of what works for other people.

cheers, TREVOR

"...that extra 3 degrees at the wide end can make a big difference."

Yes it does.  Good point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements