cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon lens 150-500mm

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Any thoughts on this one? Noted free returns. TIA.

[Removed 3rd party sale link.  Screenshot of destination included to facilitate discussion.]

1.JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Tintype_18 wrote:

[Removed 3rd party sale link]

If you are looking at a used unit, as I assume you are, it's impossible to really assess without seeing the actual unit.  Event then, if you are not purchasing from a bricks and mortare facility, you can't really assess the condition and operation of the unit - much depends on the trust level indicated for the vendor.

Is this actually a native Canon lens?  I did a search for it and can't find one.  Both Sigma and Tamron make 150-500 lenses with mounts including one for Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Tintype_18 wrote:

[Removed 3rd party sale link]

I had the Sigma 150-500mm for a year, and did not like it.  I sold it when the 150-600mm C was released.  I liked the idea of the Sigma Dock, so I could do calibrations and firmware updates myself.  Better optics was a fringe benefit.

I loved the photos that I captured with the Sigma 150-500mm, though.  I think I used a T5 for this shot.  Or, a 6D.

IMG_2331.Cropped_050.JPG

It was the process and effort to capture the photos that turned me off to the lens.  

The OS in the lens would constantly get into a tug-of-war with the AF in the camera.  So, I would turn off the OS, and never use it.  Without OS meant, using a monopod, which I did not mind.  But, it is something to consider should you purchase the lens .

My advice is the make sure the lens is a Canon mount EF mount, and then look at the 150-600mm Contemporary.  Avoid any of the Sigma lenses with APO in the model number, too.  They are an older design, which tend to be slow to focus, and produce soft images compared to more current lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I agree with the 150-600c, it's an excellent lens and is a lot cheaper than the sports version - it's also a lot lighter too.  The optics are still great.  If you check out YouTube there is a very detailed review of the lens from Dustin Abott at this link:

Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DN OS Sport | Definitive Review - YouTube

I have used this unit for a couple of years now and found it to be consistently reliable and effective.  The docking station is definitely worth the investment: both to do firmware updates and tweak the lens to your specific preferences.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

As, perhaps I have stated before, I have a love/hate relationship with the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens.

I had three of them. It seems Sigma had a tough time making a good one but when they did make a good one it is very good.

My current, third, lens is a fine lens maybe not quite as good as the current 150-600 C models but I doubt you can see any real  difference until you start pixel peeping. It is totally handholdable and I routinely shoot hummingbirds out on my deck with it. AF and IS is adequate. Not the same as the current crop of super zooms but expected since they are newer hopefully better tech.

You can find them used for great prices and if you get a good one you will get a good lens. I would not, knowing my history with them, buy it before I actually used it on my camera. Make sure you have a good return policy first.

The Sigma dock is a nice to have but most people will never need it or will use it once. However, if you are in that even once category you have it. The Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens does not have it. This lens is probably out of Sigma service life too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Addendum.

I think $450 to be a top price for one of these. For that price it should be "as new".

EB

"before I actually used it on my camera. Make sure you have a good return policy first."

Definitely! I missed this one but maybe waiting until after the first of the year. Have the funds for a new one. Just trying to justify purchasing it. I joined a local photo club and would like to see if there is a member who has one that I could try before buying. Will keep looking.

Thanks to all.

Noticed- lens is a 150-600mm, not 500mm.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

$450 is a reasonable price for a Sigma 150-600mm lens.  If it is in good shape it will work well for you.

EB

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Noticed- lens is a 150-600mm, not 500mm.

That makes a big difference and rather negates a lot of the discussion and advice so far.  A totally different animal from the original question.  Still, the comments re the 150-600 still stand.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements