cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Zoom Lens Problem

TommyBNSF
Apprentice

Hello,

I've been having an issue with my 75-300mm lens for my T3i.  Earlier today, it accidentally fell out of my bag and into some snow.  The lens appeared to be fine and no damage whatsoever, however, when I try to attach it to my T3i, it won't slide into the normal place and thus the camera doesn't recognize it.  The 18-55 mm lens I have for it still attaches smooth as butter.  As I said earlier, I examined the lens and there appears to be very minimal if any damage to it, maybe some very minor scuffs, but nothing that would be causing this problem.  Can anyone help?

Tommy

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The lens mount must have some slight damage that prevents it from being fully seated in the camera mount.

If the lens does not fully mount, and click properly into place on the camera, the contacts will not communicate and the camera will think there is no lens attached.

Inspect the lens mount VERY closely and compage it to your good lens to see if you can spot where the damage is. If you can spot the damage you might be able to correct it somehow. (bend it back or file it down or ????)

You might also be able to replace the mount yourself for about $30-$40.

75-300mm.jpg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can't imagine "... fell out of my bag and into some snow ..." would damage or bend the mount. Unless there are some rocks in that snow.

More likely is the plastic electrical contacts got damaged. At any rate do not force it back on the cmaera, a bad idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have checked it over and over, even comparing it to my mom's zoom lens which connects perfectly fine.  All I can see is a little scuff on one of the silver lips surrounding the black center.  Even then, I don't see how that could possibly cause me so much trouble trying to put this lens on my camera.  I am just boggled by this.

amfoto1
Authority

This might be a great excuse to buy a better lens! Smiley Happy

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements