cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 55-250mm Grinding Noise in Live View

Tyler217
Apprentice

Hello!

I've recently bought a used Canon camera with some extra lenses, one of which in zoom lens ef-s 55-250mm, today i've noticed that when you go to the live view in starts to make some kind of a grinding noise, not very loud, noticable basically in a quiet environment or if you get close to it, but it's a bit annoying anyway. Also I am not sure if the sound was there last couple of days while I was using it.

If anyone knows if it's just a lens thing, or it's a problem that can or cannot be fixed, if it's serious or not - please let me know, would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

P.S.

I've attached a recording of the sound, taken with a phone directly and very close to the lens. Noise Recording

P.P.S.

There are a couple of clicks in the recording, that is me accidentally touching the lens with the phone. The sound itself is quiet constant.

P.P.P.S.

You would want to put the headphones on to hear it properly.

11 REPLIES 11

Tim
Authority

Hello Tyler217, 

Based on your description of this issue we recommend sending it in for evaluation at your earliest convenience.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

amfoto1
Authority

Is it the "micro motor" version of the EF-S 55-250mm.... i.e., it's NOT marked "STM" (which stands for "stepper motor")?

Micro motor lenses typically DO make some noise when focusing. They're also a tad slower than the quieter, STM version..

In addition, Image Stabilization (IS) typically makes some noises.

If the lens is focusing properly and stabilizing as it should, I wouln't worry too much. But to reassure yourself, maybe take the camera and lens to a store that has the same and compare side-by-side.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements