cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T3i + EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens?

WolfheartFilms
Contributor

I am a young photographer who currently owns the T3i Costco kit (Comes with the 18-55 IS II and 55-250 IS II). I am very interested in buying the EF 70-200 f/4 L IS USM lens, because I love doing up-close photos. Would the lens work well with the T3i, and would it be any better than the 55-250 IS II?

Thanks,

WolfheartFilms (Caleb)

16 REPLIES 16

cicopo
Elite

Yes it will work & Yes it's a great lens sharpness & AF speed wise. It will however be a little shorter on the long end than your 55-250.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

One thing they haven't mentioned is the fact the T3i is an APS-C crop sensor camera. So your EF 70-200mm lens is going to be about 1.6x more than the 70-200.  The 200mm will be more like a 360mm on the T3i. The 55-250 lens is an EF-S lens, so it will be a true 55-250mm. I to shoot the Canon T3i and am considering this lens. Especially since it is way cheaper than the 2.8 version. Hope this helps.

That is not correct. The EF-S lens line use the same language re how many MM they are as the EF line up does. It's confusing to some but in the long run everything can be compared using one standard. Even P & S cameras give comparible numbers in their specs using the old 35 mm film lens method still in use.   

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Guz,

cicopo is correct. mm is mm and always will be.

"Especially since it is way cheaper than the 2.8 version."

It may be way cheaper but that is where any comparing has to end.  The two lenses. except sharing a similar focal length, have nothing in common.  Hope this helps, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cale_kat
Mentor

@WolfheartFilms wrote:

I am a young photographer who currently owns the T3i Costco kit (Comes with the 18-55 IS II and 55-250 IS II). I am very interested in buying the EF 70-200 f/4 L IS USM lens, because I love doing up-close photos. Would the lens work well with the T3i, and would it be any better than the 55-250 IS II?

Thanks,

WolfheartFilms (Caleb)

It'll work great but that's a range you already have covered. Is there something about the 70-200 f/4 that you could really use? Are you disappointed with your current lenses?

I'm not necessarily disappointed, I'm just wondering if it's any better than what I already have.

There are a few generalizations that most photographers agree on where it comes to the engineering of lenses. Heavier lenses typically contain more glass and therefore are engineered to a higher level of precision. Another one is, a shorter zoom range is easier to control for optical aberrations over its entire range than a lens of similar build quality over a longer zoom range".

So, yeah, the 70-200mm f/4L is better controled, optically, over its entire range than the more far reaching 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II but as cicopo has pointed out, you lose a bit of range on both ends in return.

Edited to add: I will not suggest that it is preferable to execute quality post-processing in response to less than desired results, but it is considered entirely acceptable. I spent 5 years photographing and printing images with my 35mm camera equipped with a 50mm lens. I experimented constantly in the darkroom with paper offering differing levels of contrast, dodging and burning images, and in general creating my images. No one ever suggested that my prints were anything less than genuine. Make your own art.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you mean close-up photos (i.e. camera is close to subject) or bringing distance objects close?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Well, delving into the detail of the subject, and bringing objects close.
Announcements