cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SL1 Lens

el_em_en_oh
Contributor

Hi guys...|

I'm a beginner, and recently purchased an SL1. Very small body, but I like it, as both my wife and I can use it (she has extremely small hands).

I purchased a TAMRON 18-200mm, as an all-in-one vacation lens, and was very happy with the results (ultra wide-angle, as well as decent zoom capabilities). I also have the CANON kit lenses that came with the bundle (18-55mm & 75-300mm), as well as a CANON 50mm lens I found in a garage sale that just happened to fit.

What other Canon models will these lenses fit on?

I was to get another camera body, for myself, but would like the lenses to be interchangeable between my wife's SL1 and whatever I happen to get. I know it's got somewthing to do with EF and EF-S, but that's about all I know.

Can someone help?

LMNO

20 REPLIES 20

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

5D and 7D target different markets.

That's the conventional wisdom, and it's true to a degree. But I think you'd find that quite a few photographers (I'm one of them) have both. Not only is the 7D a lot cheaper; it's also somewhat lighter and smaller. When I'm photographing an indoor event in a large room, I usually carry two cameras; and it's nice to have one of them be a 7D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Difference between the 5D and the 7D being...?

(Sorry that my oroiginal lens question has morphed into something else entriely. this is my first time on this message board, so i'm breaking any rules by posting this here, let me know please)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/5d-mark-iii/vs/canon/7d-mark-ii/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Got it... 5D better in extremelyu low light (that's my take-away anyway)...

The 5D series (and the 6D) are full frame & do not work properly with lenses designed for the crop bodies. Some brands will mount properly but the photos look like you shot through a pipe because they are designed to cover ONLY the smaller sensor area of an APS C body. 

The 7D & revised upgrade of the 7D2 are aimed at sports type photyography with better AF systems & FPS rates than the xxD bodies available at the same time. They cost more because of the extra features but still were the same megapixel sensor.

to me the most important difference between the Rebel series & the others is the rear control wheel which can be used to change your exposure very quickly thru Exposure Compensation. I find it much slower to do when using a Rebel body BUT I've never owned one so that may be why I'm slow at it. I get handed cameras to set up at events so their users get decent results while learning how to use them properly & I prefer the rear wheel system. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

EF lenses mount on both full frame and crop bodies.

EF-s lenses only mount on the crop bodies. 

Your 50mm is almost certainly an EF lens. The 18-55 and 75-300 are EF-s.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

As for the bodies, the larger full frame sensor works better in low light. That is very important in photography but nevertheless 90% of DSLR photographers use crop bodies exclusively and they get by without full frame.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I think it's important to note that the term of EF-S as the mount ONLY gets used by Canon (as far as I know) and in all cases I've run into Sigma & Tamron lenses DESIGNED for the EF-S mount will mount to bodies designed for EF only lenses & so far none have caused any issues other than the fact they don't cover the entire sensor with the image. None of the 3rd party lenses I've owned projected into the mirror box area BUT I haven't owned that many of either brand. I have owned more 3rd party lenses than EF-S lenses though, and I've read that most do indeed protrude into the mirror box area which could damage things if used on a full frame body.

Edited to add that it says you have the Tamron 18-200 which I haven't owned but I did own their 18-270 & it will mount of all 3 forms of Canon body, the 1.6, 1.3 & full frame sensor versions so I suspect the 18-200 would too (The Sigma's did) but as I said earlier it will look like you shot through a pipe through part of it's rrange. I did do a thread here a long time ago showing that effect but don't have the link to it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have a ton of lenses in both formats, crop and FF.  I am not willing to say all off brand crop lenses will work without fear of damage.  At least not on a Canon camera. Maybe they will but I would not recommend it.  On brand-N, I will say there isn't any problem.

Generally, in the past anyway, the cheaper 3rd party lenses, like the ones for crop bodies, aren't worth buying in the first place.

Pretty junkie lenses. IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bob from Boston,

"it's also somewhat lighter and smaller."

As I recall, the 7D and 5D bodies were exactly the same size?  I sold all of them so I don't currently have either.  Perhaps my memory fails me?  Wouldn't be the first time.  There may be some difference in weight, however?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements