cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T3 Nifty Fifty Lens

Polly57
Contributor

Hi everyone, 

Not a professional and have a Canon T3, which I have fully pleased with. I bought the David Molnar photo online classes and he talks a lot about the nifty fifty. I went online to purchase one and I am confused as to which one with fit my camera. I know it is an older version, but I am just playing around in my retirement. This is the one I am looking at and wondering if it would fit on my older camera:

image3.JPG

I understand it fits the rebels but since mine is older not sure if they keep the lenses from year/model/upgrades useable. Thanks for any assistance. 

Polly

[link removed per forum guidelines.  Replaced with screenshot from linked page to facilitate discussion]

18 REPLIES 18

@Polly57 wrote:

I was just asking about purchasing a nifty fifty because the class I took and am donewith recommended I purchase one. I do not need it for the class. He said, "Starting out using manual mode the nifty fifty is a low cost easy to use lens to learn on" He did explain all the others, but said it would give me the ability to learn how to take low light shots. As a professional he says he still uses it although he had tons of other lenses that had high costs to them that he recommended as well. I do not plan on being a professional, just a hobby in my retirement. I am going to purchase thenifity fifty as right now that is cost effective for me to learn on. If I ever do want more I will purchase good telephoto lenses. I understand it's limitations I just wanted the specialized focal length. Thanks everyone! I got this.

At the risk of wandering a bit off-topic, I'll mention that I don't at all subscribe to the notion that a beginning photographer with access to a modern camera should start out by using manual mode. I realize that many consider it a vital part of the learning process, but I just don't buy it. It reminds me of the attitude, once also fairly common, that a beginning driver should first learn on a car with a manual transmission. Yes, the ability to use a camera manually is a useful skill, but to a beginner it's less important than learning about lighting, composition, choice of subject, etc.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have had my camera for over 8 years, hence the T3. I ordered this online class about a year or so ago??? I Had been playing around with my camera and want to learn more. The class encourages using manuel. I have been playing around with it, but do revert to auto if the picture is one that is important I get right or I do not have the time to fuss with buttons ans settings. I agree though knowing how to use a camera setttings, composition, lighting etc is important. I am a little beyond that right now and looking to increase my knowledge with the manuel mode. Thanks for the advice. I think the nifty fifity will start me on a good road. Do not know if I will ever go beyond that though. I have a 500mm telephoto lens, but it is manuel as well so even with my camera on auto using this lens is a challange. 

Polly, judging by your comment, "Thanks everyone.  I got this!", I assume that you are going to go ahead and get the "nifty 50".  I hope so.  There is a reason your course instructor recommended this.  It is a handy, cheap little lens and there will be times you need it.  And it will teach you a lot. 

As mentioned above zoom lenses are hugely flexible and, prior to retiremnet I used them a lot in my practice.  But if you haven't learned in your course yet, they are slow.  This means they aren't suitable for low light.  This is where fixed focus length lenses, like the nifty 50, become so valuable. About the fastest zoom lens there is has a maximum apeture of F/2.8. Your 50 mm is more than a "full stop" faster.  You will learn what this means. for now just know it will serve you better in lower light situations such as indoors when you can't, or don't want, to use flash.   I also have the nifty 50 but just about my all time favorite lens is another fixed length, my 100mm F2.  It used to be on one of my camera bodies almost all the time.

Another nice benefit of the faster maximum aperture is it will blur the background more (at wide open compared to F/2.8).  In addition, the 50 mm on a Rebel some consider "ideal" focal length for portraiture, meaning you will minimize perspective distortion. So this combination of blurring the background and ideal length will be great for you if you pursue portraiture. 

Good luck to you.  If you haven't learned yet these forums can be a great sorurce of help but you can and will also get a lot of misinformation.  You'll just have to learn to sort it out.

Have fun with the new lens.

Thanks for the recommendations!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I understand it's limitations I just wanted the specialized focal length."

Chances are David Molnar doesn not use a Rebel T3.  A 50mm is more friendly on a FF. Again I have no real objections to anyone buying the excellent 50mil, mostly because it is so fast and so cheap.  It doesn't matter if it sits in your bag for long periods of time. If it happens to be only the second lens you have(?), you will use it more simply because you don't have other choices!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have three other lenses that came in the bundle.Polly

"I have three other lenses that came in the bundle...." and they are? 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lumigraphics
Contributor

First of all, ignore the naysayers. The 50mm is a good portrait lens on your camera. Its small, light, cheap, and has good image quality, and having a spare is never a bad thing.

There have been three versions of the 50mm f/1.8 autofocus. First and third have metal lensmounts, the third has the STM drive motor which is optimized for newer Canon bodies and video.

If you want a bit more general-purpose lens, look into the 24mm EF-S lens or one of the 35mm offerings. Canon also sells a 40mm STM that is even smaller.

Finally, forget the "kit" with all the added filters and accessories. Those are usually just junk. All you need is the lens itself.

Thanks for the info!
Announcements