cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T3 Nifty Fifty Lens

Polly57
Contributor

Hi everyone, 

Not a professional and have a Canon T3, which I have fully pleased with. I bought the David Molnar photo online classes and he talks a lot about the nifty fifty. I went online to purchase one and I am confused as to which one with fit my camera. I know it is an older version, but I am just playing around in my retirement. This is the one I am looking at and wondering if it would fit on my older camera:

image3.JPG

I understand it fits the rebels but since mine is older not sure if they keep the lenses from year/model/upgrades useable. Thanks for any assistance. 

Polly

[link removed per forum guidelines.  Replaced with screenshot from linked page to facilitate discussion]

18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Polly57 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Not a professional and have a Canon T3, which I have fully pleased with. I bought the David Molnar photo online classes and he talks a lot about the nifty fifty. I went online to purchase one and I am confused as to which one with fit my camera. I know it is an older version, but I am just playing around in my retirement. This is the one I am looking at and wondering if it would fit on my older camera:    

I understand it fits the rebels but since mine is older not sure if they keep the lenses from year/model/upgrades useable. Thanks for any assistance. 

Polly

You would want the newer “STM” version of the “Nifty Fifty, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-50mm-f-18-stm-refurbished

The newer version has an all metal mount, while the older one has an all plastic mount.  The newer lens also has faster, quieter focusing.  It is more than worth the slight price difference.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks I will look into that. So confusing to an amateur. 

@Polly57 wrote:

The “mount” on a lens is the end part of the lens that attaches to the camera.  A metal mount will last longer than a plastic one.

@Polly57 wrote:

Don't buy the nifty fifty unless you're sure you need the relatively wide (f/1.8) aperture. Otherwise stick with Canon's zoom lenses, which are much more flexible and not distinguishably inferior in image quality.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Polly57 wrote:

Don't buy the nifty fifty unless you're sure you need the relatively wide (f/1.8) aperture. Otherwise stick with Canon's zoom lenses, which are much more flexible and not distinguishably inferior in image quality.

Why would you say that?  For someone taking a photography class, having a wide aperture lens is almost a “must have” item. Besides, I would recommend the lens to anyone with a Rebel series camera.  It will teach any owner a lot about photography.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Polly57 wrote:

Why would you say that?  For someone taking a photography class, having a wide aperture lens is almost a “must have” item. Besides, I would recommend the lens to anyone with a Rebel series camera.  It will teach any owner a lot about photography.

Where is your point of disagreement? I suggested the OP not buy the lens unless she really needs it. You said shouldn't she buy it if she needs it for a class. To which, of course, my answer is yes. I guess I don't see why she necessarily would need it for a class, but I'll take your word for that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Polly57 wrote:

Where is your point of disagreement? I suggested the OP not buy the lens unless she really needs it. You said shouldn't she buy it if she needs it for a class. To which, of course, my answer is yes. I guess I don't see why she necessarily would need it for a class, but I'll take your word for that.

Bob, this is from the original post.

Not a professional and have a Canon T3, which I have fully pleased with. I bought the David Molnar photo online classes and he talks a lot about the nifty fifty. I went online to purchase one and I am confused as to which one with fit my camera. I know it is an older version, but I am just playing around in my retirement.”

The “nifty fifty” lens is what is being discussed in the course.  It appears Polly57 wishes to follow along with the discussion.

BTW, the EF-S 18-55mm lenses in the T3 camera kits have inferior image quality compared to either the “fantastic plastic” or the newer “nifty fifty” 50mm lenses.  It would be a good portrait lens on a Rebel body.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Don't buy the nifty fifty unless you're sure you need the relatively wide (f/1.8) aperture. Otherwise stick with Canon's zoom lenses, which are much more flexible and not distinguishably inferior in image quality."

I also second this thought.  The 50mm lens is a specialized focal length.   Particularly so on a Rebel. The only thing it bring to the party is the very fast aperture beside very low cost.  Stick with Canon zoom lenses. I am not really opposed to you buying the 50mil just be aware of its FL limitations because it is so cheap.. I have over two dozen lenses and I believe the 50mil is one of my least used lens.  Make sure you get the STM model if you pursue this.

"...but I am just playing around in my retirement."

This does not and should not indicate you need less quality gear. The better your gear, camera and lenses, the better you will become and the more pleasurable this hobby is.

IMHO, don't use Amazon. Instead go to a real camera retailer even a local photography store.  Too many bad things from Amazon in the photography gear marketplace.

BTW, what lens(s) do you have now? The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (I know ...expensive) would be the lens to get. Also fast constant aperture and it zooms. It will be there for you when you decide to upgrade your T3!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was just asking about purchasing a nifty fifty because the class I took and am donewith recommended I purchase one. I do not need it for the class. He said, "Starting out using manual mode the nifty fifty is a low cost easy to use lens to learn on" He did explain all the others, but said it would give me the ability to learn how to take low light shots. As a professional he says he still uses it although he had tons of other lenses that had high costs to them that he recommended as well. I do not plan on being a professional, just a hobby in my retirement. I am going to purchase thenifity fifty as right now that is cost effective for me to learn on. If I ever do want more I will purchase good telephoto lenses. I understand it's limitations I just wanted the specialized focal length. Thanks everyone! I got this.

Announcements