cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens

savannahreagan
Apprentice

I'm interested in purchasing the Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens for portrait photography, but not sure it will fit my base. I'm currently using a rebel T6i and have no intentions on switching bases, just curious if this lens would fit.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

RF mount lenses will not fit your EF mount Rebel T6i.  It is physically impossible to make an adapter to compensate for it.  If you can find the EF-S 60mm Macro lens, then go for that.  You camera only uses EF or EF-S mount lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The EF 50mm f1.8 STM would fit your camera and would be a better focal length for portraits than the 35mm.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... just curious if this lens would fit."

It will not fit a Rebel.

"Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens for portrait photography..."

Whether this 35mm or any 35mm lens, it is a poor FL for portrait work. You need to be in the 50mm to 60mm FL range.  The kit lens that came with your Rebel will do a better job. And to prove that, just set it to 35mm and try it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM Lens for portrait photography.

OK here's the scoop.  Any lens can take a portrait but there are two big considerations.  First is working distance.  If you use a 35mm FL you will need to be very close to your subject.  This makes most people apprehensive and nervous. In other words more conscientious of what is going on.  Nobody looks their best under those situations. Of course working distance has other considerations like, your shooting location.  I.E., you may not have a lot of extra room to back up so to say.

Secondly, a bit longer FL, say 50mm to 60mm, offers a better facial perspective as it tends to compress the shot. Usually this is flattering to human faces. One word of caution to using a sharp prime like the ef 50mm f1.8, it might be too sharp and magnify imperfections of the skin. It is a try and see what lens works best for THIS particular job.

Last piece of advice is post edit.  It is mandatory, not an option for great portraits. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements