cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon: “No new lenses.”

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

Digital Camera World: Canon announcement (01/06/20):

“Our focus is on RF,’ says Canon: no new EF lenses unless the “market demands it.”  Canon confirms to focus development on RF-mount optics for the Canon EOS R family of lenses."

"Canon has confirmed that it is focusing development on producing RF-mount lens for its full-frame mirrorless system. As it stands today, while the EF mount for DSLRs is still supported, there won't be any new EF lenses unless they are demanded by the marketplace.

"The news comes as the company celebrates the launch of its new flagship camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III – a camera that, like all Canon's full-frame DSLRs, can only use EF lenses. 

“ 'As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system,' said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. 'To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.'

"While it may seem unthinkable for development to draw to a close on EF lenses, the truth is that the lens mount has now been in existence for 33 years. When EF was introduced in 1987, it replaced the Canon FD mount – which at the time was an institution, and it many couldn't fathom the company no longer producing FD lenses.

"However, now as it was then, the EF mount has pretty much accomplished all that it can accomplish. After three decades, every lens you can dream of – super fast f/1.0 lenses, tilt-shift lenses, fisheye lenses, macro lenses, super wide and super telephoto lenses – are already on the market. There really isn't a lens that doesn't exist for the EF mount, so there isn't really much left for Canon to develop for it. 

"And of course, the EF mount hasn't been discontinued; as Shepherd notes, it is still very much supported – and should there be a sudden surge of interest for a lens that somehow doesn't yet exist, Canon will develop it. 

"The truth of the matter is that the EF mount has had its day, and it had a very good 33-year innings. With 2020 comes the manufacturer's full focus on its mirrorless future – the Canon RF lens roadmap and the Canon EOS R system."

From my standpoint, this is the first step in obsolescing the EOS DSLR cameras in favor of the mirrorless cameras, and it makes perfect sense.  I've long suspected that no long after mirrorless cameras were introduced, manufacturers would also eliminate the lens shutters next — simply by having the sensor do all the work.

This also signifies to me that there won't be any in-lens stabilization system improvements in the existing EF lens line either, so Canon will dramatically simplify their cameras by removing moving parts not only in their cameras, but their lenses, too.  In essence, they're making this announcement to gently break the news that the era of the DSLR and EF lenses is coming to an end soon, and why not?  The EF family has had a 33-year successful run beyond the dreams of avarice.  

Anyone who is familiar with manufacturing knows that Canon has no choice but to take down their manufacturing lines of EF lenses: once a manufacturing line has been decommissioned, the T#1 of a restart would make the lens unprofitable unless it can sell "X" number of units, probably in the hundreds of thousands.  It's my professional experience, based on working 7 years as a Product Systems Analyst (Life Cycle Costs) for a Fortune 50 aerospace firm, we're hearing the death knell of many of Canon's cameras and all the EF lenses.

It's not that I didn't anticipate this: I've purchased/acquired 6 new cameras over the past 25 months for my work and a number of new lenses, especially telephoto zoom lenses. I only have 3 prime lenses, and believe I must rethink new lens purchases both for personal and professional requirements.  Why buy an EF 50mm f/1.2L II USM lens that Canon will never improve?

This news solidifies my thoughts about the future.  I'm going to look into Zeiss Milvus and Otus lenses.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
20 REPLIES 20

"Most landscape shots are not shot a f/2.8."

Believe it or not some people use that lens for things other than landscapes. SOme people do buy a f2.8 lens to be able to use f2.8. "As you are so fond of saying, all gear has limits."  Yes, I do say that. In this case the lens has an aperture that is mostly useless.  That is not a limit. It is a design flaw,. I am not alone in this assessment.  The difference between the two of us, my friend, is you never depended on your gear to do a job or make a living.  You are a hobbyists.  Miss a shot or get a bad one and no big deal just shoot it over. The whole mindset is different.

Question...

"@ebiggs1 wrote:

It's not going to distort a blue sky or a center cropped photo for pete's sake. And, nobody buys a f2.8 lens so they can use it at  f4 or f5.6 exclusively or to crop to the center of everything."

"Get off of my case, dude.  I never start these flame wars, my argumentative friend.  I just make sure they come end in short order."

You consider this a "flame war"?  Somebody just pointing out facts? I would rather call it two 'friedns' or at least two camera buds discussing product.  You are the one that always elevates it. I'll refrain from calling you  "dude" out of mutual respect.  Try it some time, my friend.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements