cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon: “No new lenses.”

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

Digital Camera World: Canon announcement (01/06/20):

“Our focus is on RF,’ says Canon: no new EF lenses unless the “market demands it.”  Canon confirms to focus development on RF-mount optics for the Canon EOS R family of lenses."

"Canon has confirmed that it is focusing development on producing RF-mount lens for its full-frame mirrorless system. As it stands today, while the EF mount for DSLRs is still supported, there won't be any new EF lenses unless they are demanded by the marketplace.

"The news comes as the company celebrates the launch of its new flagship camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III – a camera that, like all Canon's full-frame DSLRs, can only use EF lenses. 

“ 'As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system,' said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. 'To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.'

"While it may seem unthinkable for development to draw to a close on EF lenses, the truth is that the lens mount has now been in existence for 33 years. When EF was introduced in 1987, it replaced the Canon FD mount – which at the time was an institution, and it many couldn't fathom the company no longer producing FD lenses.

"However, now as it was then, the EF mount has pretty much accomplished all that it can accomplish. After three decades, every lens you can dream of – super fast f/1.0 lenses, tilt-shift lenses, fisheye lenses, macro lenses, super wide and super telephoto lenses – are already on the market. There really isn't a lens that doesn't exist for the EF mount, so there isn't really much left for Canon to develop for it. 

"And of course, the EF mount hasn't been discontinued; as Shepherd notes, it is still very much supported – and should there be a sudden surge of interest for a lens that somehow doesn't yet exist, Canon will develop it. 

"The truth of the matter is that the EF mount has had its day, and it had a very good 33-year innings. With 2020 comes the manufacturer's full focus on its mirrorless future – the Canon RF lens roadmap and the Canon EOS R system."

From my standpoint, this is the first step in obsolescing the EOS DSLR cameras in favor of the mirrorless cameras, and it makes perfect sense.  I've long suspected that no long after mirrorless cameras were introduced, manufacturers would also eliminate the lens shutters next — simply by having the sensor do all the work.

This also signifies to me that there won't be any in-lens stabilization system improvements in the existing EF lens line either, so Canon will dramatically simplify their cameras by removing moving parts not only in their cameras, but their lenses, too.  In essence, they're making this announcement to gently break the news that the era of the DSLR and EF lenses is coming to an end soon, and why not?  The EF family has had a 33-year successful run beyond the dreams of avarice.  

Anyone who is familiar with manufacturing knows that Canon has no choice but to take down their manufacturing lines of EF lenses: once a manufacturing line has been decommissioned, the T#1 of a restart would make the lens unprofitable unless it can sell "X" number of units, probably in the hundreds of thousands.  It's my professional experience, based on working 7 years as a Product Systems Analyst (Life Cycle Costs) for a Fortune 50 aerospace firm, we're hearing the death knell of many of Canon's cameras and all the EF lenses.

It's not that I didn't anticipate this: I've purchased/acquired 6 new cameras over the past 25 months for my work and a number of new lenses, especially telephoto zoom lenses. I only have 3 prime lenses, and believe I must rethink new lens purchases both for personal and professional requirements.  Why buy an EF 50mm f/1.2L II USM lens that Canon will never improve?

This news solidifies my thoughts about the future.  I'm going to look into Zeiss Milvus and Otus lenses.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
20 REPLIES 20

And let's not forget the 5D5...  at least I'm hopeful for this. 

Canon does not need to make any more EF lenses. They have the industries leading and most comprehensive line up, its a fact. 

People will continue to use EF lenses and as John mentioned, 1DX3, and Ernie said, there is no professional mirrorless bodies, I think its safe to assume the EF line is going to be around for a while. 

I will get another year more or less with my 6D2.

I can re-evaluate at that time.  There is nothing wrong with Canon focusing their efforts on the RF line.  Having choices is a good thing.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

RexGig
Enthusiast

Canon say: "Our focus is on RF,’ says Canon: no new EF lenses unless the “market demands it.”  Canon confirms to focus development on RF-mount optics for the Canon EOS R family of lenses."

"Canon has confirmed that it is focusing development on producing RF-mount lens for its full-frame mirrorless system. As it stands today, while the EF mount for DSLRs is still supported, there won't be any new EF lenses unless they are demanded by the marketplace.

"The news comes as the company celebrates the launch of its new flagship camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III – a camera that, like all Canon's full-frame DSLRs, can only use EF lenses. 

“ 'As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system,' said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. 'To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF."

I say: Well, I am the marketplace, and I having a shopping list of Canon lenses, which I plan to add, as I am able to fund them, so, please do keep making  them:

1. EF 8-15mm Fisheye.

2. EF 11-24L.

3. One of the EF 16-35mm L lenses. I had the EF 16-35/2.8L II, but it showed its weaknesses when I added my 5Ds R.

4. EF 24-70/2.8L II.

5. EF 40/2.8 STM. I had one of these, but it was submerged in water, during a storm, so requires replacement.

6. EF 300/2.8L II IS. I have an EF 300/2.8L IS, but sooner of later, attrition may claim it, and it would be nice to have two 300/2.8 lenses, anyway, when photographing owls, Night Herons, and such, at night, with both a 7D II and a 5D IV.

7. EF 400mm DO II.

Thanks for your consideration.

Here is what came to mind when I read your list.

1.  Sounds like a fun lens.  It is probably a must have for a wedding photographer.  It would [be] a novelty for me.

2. This is the wide angle lens I would want if I were a professional shooting architecture.

3.  I have the Mark II version, and love it [on a 6D and 6D2].  It looks much better without the lens correction, which seems to soften the images.

4.  THIS!  Make sure you buy this one first!

5.  If you want a pancake [lens], then go for it.  The EF 24-70 f/2.8 II USM covers that focal length and aperture, too.  [And will do a MUCH better job of covering it, too!}

6.  Now you talking over my head.  I have been tempted to buy one, and would done so a couple of years ago.  But, age is catching up with me, and I do not shoot as many sporting events as I used to.  Bad back!  I used to be the athlete in front of the camera way, way back in the day!

7.  I do not know anyone with this lens.  The couple handfuls of professional sports, Canon shooters that I know all use the EF 400mm f/2.8L II/III USM lenses.  I think it is worth the extra 15% for another full stop of aperture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

I am curious about your comment regarding the 5dSr and EF 16-35/2.8L II combination, I utilize this combo and for landscape shots I have found it to perform well, I also have the previous version of the 16-35 and prefer the v2
So I am wondering about your opinion regarding performence, I have had good luck.

@Mitsubishiman wrote:

I am curious about your comment regarding the 5dSr and EF 16-35/2.8L II combination, I utilize this combo and for landscape shots I have found it to perform well, I also have the previous version of the 16-35 and prefer the v2
So I am wondering about your opinion regarding performence, I have had good luck.

The edges and corners were, well, uninspring. Maybe it was because I had such a wonderful sample of the EF-S 10-22mm lens, to use on 7D/7D II cameras, and because I was really liking the results when using my EF 35/2 IS on the 5Ds R, but the EF 16-35/2.8L II was not earning a place, in the case/bag, when I went shooting. 

My EF 16-35/2.8L II had competition from the Nikon side, too. I actually bought my Nikkor 14-24.2.8G at about the same time as my Canon L, and, I soon favored the Nikkor, on a D3s camera. (My wife was/is a dedicated Nikon shooter, and we can economize on some lenses and accessories by sharing a common lens mount system. I started adding pre-owned Nikon DSLRs in 2014.)

By the time I sold/traded my EF 16-35/2.8L II, I knew there were better ultra-wide Canon zoom lenses, either in production, announced, or strongly rumored. By now, these are the 11-24L, the 16-35/2.8L III, and the 16-35/4L IS, any of which I may add, sooner or later. I am currently experimenting with my EF 14/2.8L II, and a new EF 28/2.8 IS, moving UWA zooms to the back burner.

The EF 16-35/2.8L II  is the only Canon lens I bought that I wished I didin't.  Bad thing about it is, I had a very good 17-40mm f4L and sold it.  In my defence I sold it before I used the EF 16-35/2.8L II. A far better choice is the Tokina 16-28mm F/2.8 AT-X Pro FX lens.

BTW, the Tok is at the very least as good as any of the Nikkor entries in this range and it costs 1/4 as much.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

Everyone, I stand corrected, I have V2 & V3, I have been using V3 and I have not used the V2 in quite some time, I have had extremely good luck and it is far better than the V2 and I would seel the older one in a heatbeat.

It is a good combo on the 5DsR

My apologies on the initial comment, I agree the V2 had significant issues unlesss the lens hood was removed, even then occasionally there was viginetting, V3 was a vast improvement.

@Mitsubishiman wrote:

Everyone, I stand corrected, I have V2 & V3, I have been using V3 and I have not used the V2 in quite some time, I have had extremely good luck and it is far better than the V2 and I would seel the older one in a heatbeat.

It is a good combo on the 5DsR

My apologies on the initial comment, I agree the V2 had significant issues unlesss the lens hood was removed, even then occasionally there was viginetting, V3 was a vast improvement.

I guess my bad eyes are not seeing what everyone else is seeing.   I rarely shoot with this lens wide open.

EOS 6D Mark II2019_10_101005392.jpg

Most of the time I am at f/4 or f/5.6.  Also, I am cropping most of the images slightly when the subject is fairly close, anyway.

30EA8A1A-B7D0-4881-823B-083F0E24854E.jpeg

Might Mouse is cropped from a portrait orientation, while the rainbow is not cropped, at all.  The rainbow could not fit in the frame with a 24-70, so I had to shoot it at 16mm.

It's not going to distort a blue sky or a center cropped photo for pete's sake. And, nobody buys a f2.8 lens so they can use it at  f4 or f5.6 exclusively or to crop to the center of everything.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It's not going to distort a blue sky or a center cropped photo for pete's sake. And, nobody buys a f2.8 lens so they can use it at  f4 or f5.6 exclusively or to crop to the center of everything.  

The rainbow shot is not cropped. Most landscape shots are not shot a f/2.8.  The sweet spot of most lenses is around f/8.  It just happens to be a happy coincidence that the  lenses with the best IQ also have wide apertures.  

I am not aware of any law that says I must always shoot at the widest aperture.  Do you?

178BF55A-3F30-486C-B5F7-58F037D16FF9.jpeg

I do use the lens indoors at f/8 quite frequently.  It captures great photos.  The only crop on the above image was to level the horizon.

5FBB62E1-B254-45DC-BBD8-CC76CDA85733.jpeg

I like to use it indoors when shooting in close quarters.  

29E58ADB-E34E-4194-ADEE-024AB3ABEE52.jpeg

Guess what happens when shooting at f/2.8 indoors at close quarters. The DoF [so] is narrow that the edges will be OOF, anyway. The soft edges do not matter.  The DoF "cropped" the image for me.

9F4C13DA-9A3A-467C-AED8-6C05CBB848A3.jpeg

I do shoot indoors with a narrow apertures, too.  It needs a high ISO.  The above is an HDR shot, while the below is not.  Neither shot has been cropped, other than to level the horizon slightly.  One of the consequences of shooting handheld is that my horizons are rarely perfect.

62D8585D-83B6-4FC0-984C-49D3AA878C05.jpeg

The lens does what I need it do do.  As you are so fond of saying, all gear has limits.  

I suggest that you practice what you preach.  Get off of my case, dude.  I never start these flame wars, my argumentative friend.  I just make sure they come end in short order.

Announcements