cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon: “No new lenses.”

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

Digital Camera World: Canon announcement (01/06/20):

“Our focus is on RF,’ says Canon: no new EF lenses unless the “market demands it.”  Canon confirms to focus development on RF-mount optics for the Canon EOS R family of lenses."

"Canon has confirmed that it is focusing development on producing RF-mount lens for its full-frame mirrorless system. As it stands today, while the EF mount for DSLRs is still supported, there won't be any new EF lenses unless they are demanded by the marketplace.

"The news comes as the company celebrates the launch of its new flagship camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III – a camera that, like all Canon's full-frame DSLRs, can only use EF lenses. 

“ 'As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system,' said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. 'To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.'

"While it may seem unthinkable for development to draw to a close on EF lenses, the truth is that the lens mount has now been in existence for 33 years. When EF was introduced in 1987, it replaced the Canon FD mount – which at the time was an institution, and it many couldn't fathom the company no longer producing FD lenses.

"However, now as it was then, the EF mount has pretty much accomplished all that it can accomplish. After three decades, every lens you can dream of – super fast f/1.0 lenses, tilt-shift lenses, fisheye lenses, macro lenses, super wide and super telephoto lenses – are already on the market. There really isn't a lens that doesn't exist for the EF mount, so there isn't really much left for Canon to develop for it. 

"And of course, the EF mount hasn't been discontinued; as Shepherd notes, it is still very much supported – and should there be a sudden surge of interest for a lens that somehow doesn't yet exist, Canon will develop it. 

"The truth of the matter is that the EF mount has had its day, and it had a very good 33-year innings. With 2020 comes the manufacturer's full focus on its mirrorless future – the Canon RF lens roadmap and the Canon EOS R system."

From my standpoint, this is the first step in obsolescing the EOS DSLR cameras in favor of the mirrorless cameras, and it makes perfect sense.  I've long suspected that no long after mirrorless cameras were introduced, manufacturers would also eliminate the lens shutters next — simply by having the sensor do all the work.

This also signifies to me that there won't be any in-lens stabilization system improvements in the existing EF lens line either, so Canon will dramatically simplify their cameras by removing moving parts not only in their cameras, but their lenses, too.  In essence, they're making this announcement to gently break the news that the era of the DSLR and EF lenses is coming to an end soon, and why not?  The EF family has had a 33-year successful run beyond the dreams of avarice.  

Anyone who is familiar with manufacturing knows that Canon has no choice but to take down their manufacturing lines of EF lenses: once a manufacturing line has been decommissioned, the T#1 of a restart would make the lens unprofitable unless it can sell "X" number of units, probably in the hundreds of thousands.  It's my professional experience, based on working 7 years as a Product Systems Analyst (Life Cycle Costs) for a Fortune 50 aerospace firm, we're hearing the death knell of many of Canon's cameras and all the EF lenses.

It's not that I didn't anticipate this: I've purchased/acquired 6 new cameras over the past 25 months for my work and a number of new lenses, especially telephoto zoom lenses. I only have 3 prime lenses, and believe I must rethink new lens purchases both for personal and professional requirements.  Why buy an EF 50mm f/1.2L II USM lens that Canon will never improve?

This news solidifies my thoughts about the future.  I'm going to look into Zeiss Milvus and Otus lenses.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
20 REPLIES 20

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

I understand the business logic behind the decision, however there are individuals whom will, due to their expensive investments if EF lenses, not switch and buy a mirrorless camera and an entourage of new lenses, they simply have thousands invested already.
And regarding a conversion mount, from what I have seen much is lost in the adapter.
I for one will rest on my laurels and not buy anything for years to come.
This is like keeping up with technology in any new purchase, as soon as you buy, it is outdated and replaced with a new version.
A short number of years ago few could afford the latest greatest TV, now those same models are relatively inexpensive.
An incredible photograph is based on conditions more than the camera and lens.
The cameras of the future will not even have a lens, it will be a sensor that captures the image without optical glass, and although sales generate profit and profit is utilized for R & D, to assume I need to bridge the gap by abandoning the 15K I have invested and spend another 15K to replace all my gear and then do it again when the next innovation replaces RF, not realistic.

EF will be in use for many many years and if Canon does not create new lenses and cameras, then others will in the EF format, far too many users to abandon.

@Mitsubishiman wrote:  (your paragraphs numbered to keep my responses coherently apparent).

1. "I understand the business logic behind the decision, however there are individuals whom will, due to their expensive investments if EF lenses, not switch and buy a mirrorless camera and an entourage of new lenses, they simply have thousands invested already."

I have no doubt that this is an astute business move on Canon's part to (1) simplify their cameras; (2) make them easier to build and operate; (3) make the cameras more reliable, lighter, and have fewer moving parts — all of which improves their profits, makes them somewhat more competitive and profitable.   I think it's also pre-planned obsolescence, and as you stated, they know that with the conversion mount, current EOS DSLR owners will buy the new "R" cameras as their DSLR cameras, and as EF lenses wear out, purchase new RF lenses.

2. "And regarding a conversion mount, from what I have seen much is lost in the adapter."

I haven't seen that for myself, but imagine 3-4 years down the road when Canon stops supporting the conversion mount: a lot of people will have a EF lens commemorative monument in their homes for all the lenses which suddenly no longer work.  Canon wouldn't do it?  It seems that most computer and cellphone manufacturers do that today when they stop sending out software revisions: I have 5 or 6 cellphones in my desk that the manufacturer simply stopped supporting the phone and they wouldn't work without new software and firmware; same for computers — and with only one exception, none of these devices were older than 3 years.  Canon could program the conversion mounts through the camera's firmware to cease functioning and stop owners from utilizing their still-working EF lenses.  A lot of people will head for the stores to buy new cameras and lenses.

3. "This is like keeping up with technology in any new purchase, as soon as you buy, it is outdated and replaced with a new version."

Pre-planned obsolescence, I believe.  The aerospace manufacturer I once worked for knew that the government had purchased an expensive but versatile system it wanted my company to refurbish under contract.  My company closed the manufacturing facility the product was made at — at the first legal chance they had — and the government was forced to release a RFP for companies to manufacture a follow-on.  My company wound up winning that contract: the replacement product was easier to build, operate, and maintain with newer technology, and far greater profitability.  The actions of Canon are virtually identical in this regard: they've made a product line that has existed for 33 years obsolete. 

4. "A short number of years ago few could afford the latest greatest TV, now those same models are relatively inexpensive."

In my area on the left coast, televisiin stations converted to digital broadcast transmission and countless people were without television until they threw away their old TVs and bought those high-definition models. 

5. "An incredible photograph is based on conditions more than the camera and lens."

The advances of some mirrorless cameras with "eye recognition and focus software" makes portraiture so much easier in some regards.  I believe that with several camera manufacturers, this even works for the eyes of animals.  I read an engineering report that cameras will have "shutter speeds" as fast as 1/64,000th of a second and ungodly ISO — not 50, but 10 or 5 in the one extreme and greater than 100,000.  I'm not an engineer but these values may not only be possible but inevitable: the advances in technology is making radical changes in how we will take those photographs — and with what.

6. "The cameras of the future will not even have a lens, it will be a sensor that captures the image without optical glass, and although sales generate profit and profit is utilized for R & D, to assume I need to bridge the gap by abandoning the 15K I have invested and spend another 15K to replace all my gear and then do it again when the next innovation replaces RF, not realistic."

I have little doubt that the new cameras and lenses will far exceed the capabilities of today's most advanced and sophisticated camera and lenses in just a few years.  Evidence to the contrary aside, I'm not someone who must have the newest iPhone, vehicle, or camera.  I have little doubt that my cameras someday will wear out, the lenses will leak, break down, or quit.  I don't like the idea that they will, at some point soon, no longer be supported by Canon prematurely, so I've discussed this with my partner and we've decided to make our new lens acquisitions or replacements with Sigma and Zeiss, or go with a better camera manufacturer and purchase their products as our wear out or quit working.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

In my area on the left coast, televisiin stations converted to digital broadcast transmission and countless people were without television until they threw away their old TVs and bought those high-definition models. 

It is their fault, if they were left without broadcast. It was *heavily* advertised. Most people bought an adapter. I did, and still have mine - somewhere. 8^)

I still have one analog TV station here in Albuquerque, but it is in Spanish.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

In my area on the left coast, television stations converted to digital broadcast transmission and countless people were without television until they threw away their old TVs and bought those high-definition models. 

It is their fault, if they were left without broadcast. It was *heavily* advertised. Most people bought an adapter. I did, and still have mine - somewhere. 8^)

I still have one analog TV station here in Albuquerque, but it is in Spanish.

Not everyone was as lucky as you apparently were. In the Boston area, yes, we were told about the conversion to digital, and we bought the necessary adapters. But what we were not told was that each digital channel would be divided into sub-channels, most reserved for the stations' private commercial use and all of them transmitting at such a low power level that they couldn't be received out in the suburbs. The net effect was just as Chris stated: a large number of people were left with no usable over-the-air TV reception.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

How does the market "demand" a new lens in this context? And isn't perceived market demand the reason they develop any new lens?

That said, Canon's EF lineup is pretty complete. The only lens I can think of that they need but don't have is an EF-S 50-150mm f/2.8. And AFAIK even Sigma doesn't make that one anymore, so maybe Canon has better market sense than I have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

How does the market "demand" a new lens in this context? And isn't perceived market demand the reason they develop any new lens?

That said, Canon's EF lineup is pretty complete. The only lens I can think of that they need but don't have is an EF-S 50-150mm f/2.8. And AFAIK even Sigma doesn't make that one anymore, so maybe Canon has better market sense than I have.

Robert has it right. The EF lineup seems full of all manner of lenses for the enthusiast and pro. I would not expect further releases. RF and mirrorless is the direction now, as it should be. 

Furthermore, DCW and other sites are stating that Canon plans 4 new camera releases in 2020, one of them being the 1DX3, which is probably the end of the line. The other three are mirrorless, including a rumored EOS R2 (maybe called Rs). Sources are stating it will be 75MP, have dual card slots, full weather sealing, fully articulating screen, and a joystick to replace the widely panned touchbar. All good news.  

While the third party market is satisfying the need, there is clearly demand for a 150-600 variable aperture zoom.

It would be nice if they put the 100 mm macro multidimensional IS system in the EF-S 60 mm.

"...there is clearly demand for a 150-600 variable aperture zoom."

I never understood why Canon didn't jump in.  It has been a super successful super zoom lens. Tamron, Sigma and even Nikon makes similar FL zooms.  Not only that there were 150-500mm zooms even earlier on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The news comes as the company celebrates the launch of its new flagship camera, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III"

There is no professional mirrorless camera.  Just sayin'.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements