cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Lens USM 18-300

stupot1943
Apprentice

Hi

New to the forum and just purchased 7D to replace 500D. The old camera had a very nice 18-300 Canon lens which I was proposing to use on the new camera. However less than a year ago the lens locked and would not move. Took it to the outlet that I purchased it some  6 years  ago and it was returned to Canon repair agent.

Returned working and they said it had impact damage. I was always careful so could not understand comment. Paid $255 for repair.

Took camera and lens to europe having not used it at all since repair and after about a dozen shots it seazed again.

Returned to camera shop when I returned home and was told that repair had only a six months warranty. It was returned back to reapir agent and today they have informed me that it is a brush that needs replacement has it had failed. They want another $255 again to fix it.

They dismissed that it was nothing to do with previous repair anyway they reaffirmed it is outside our 6 months warranty.

Questions

Is it worth repairing again?

What is the brush element and can I get one and replace it myself.

By the way I have purchased a Tamron 75-300 and a Canon 55mm prime lens for the new 7D.

Regards

Stupot1943

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Canon has never made an 18-300mm lens. Maybe you have a Canon  EF-S 18-200mm?

In any case, I would not try to do any lens repair yourself.  I would recommend selling your old lens “as-is, and putting the cost of any further repair towards buying something like the new Canon EF-S 18-135mm Nano USM. 

Mike Sowsun

Mike

you are correct .I must have had a mental block. It’s an 18-200 as you said.

thanks for advice.

stuart

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Questions

Is it worth repairing again?

What is the brush element and can I get one and replace it myself.

By the way I have purchased a Tamron 75-300 and a Canon 55mm prime lens for the new 7D."

Is this your lens, the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens?  It has an equivalent of 29-320mm lens compared to FF format.

If true here is my opinion since you asked.  It was marginal as to whether it was worth repairing the first time for $255. Repairing a second time for $255 is really a bad idea.  A good used copy of that lens is worth about $250 and would have been, and is now, a better option.

Next question I have, "...told that repair had only a six months warranty."  Who did the repair?  It wasn't an official Canon USA repair facility was it? "... a brush that needs replacement..." I doubt this, if even true it would not seize the lens up.  It would make it not AF but you should still be able to move it manually.

The only Tamron 75-300mm zoom I know of, which is of course meaningless since I may have not seen the others, but the one I know of is very much inferior to the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. A poor choice, IMHO. I also do not know a any Canon 55mm prime lenses? Are you sure what lens it is?

"...just purchased 7D to replace 500D." The ESO 7D is a great camera. It deserves better lenses then you are looking at. It is not in the Rebel class!  Zoom lenses that have an extreme zoom ratio are a compromises. The larger the zoom ratio, usually the less IQ it will have. If you feel you need such a lens look for a used Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. Sell the Tamron and your lenses, all of them, for whatever you can get which won't be much.  If a prime lens in the 55mm range is what you want buy the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens.  New it is $125 and a real value.

Again, IMHO, the best lens for the 7D (considering price) is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Add the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens to complete the package.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying to your comprehensive response.

I have taken your advice and asked the repairer to return the lens.

By the way I am in Australia not the US and yes it did go to an official Canon Repair agent. How they can say it was nothing to do with the original repair is beyond me.

Regarding my new Tamoron 70-300 F4-5.6 USD. I purchased this on the recommendation of the respected UK magazine Canon DSLR. Where it lists and judges all lens available for a Canon DSLR. It rated it 5 star and fantastic value for the money.

I think my only missing link is an wide angle macro lens to go with my   7 D Mk2 which I say is a fantastic camera.

Best regards

Stuart Loveday

Announcements