Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon Lens (EF-S 17-85 mm. f/4-5.6 IS USM Standrd Zoom Lens)

[ Edited ]

Hi

I am plannin to buy Canon  Lens (EF-S 17-85 mm. f/4-5.6 IS USM Standrd Zoom Lens) and would like to know a feedback on the same lens. I am a amateur photographer with interest in profile and nature photography. How is it different from its successor EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Also I heard it has lots of issues (seen many comments from its buyers in internet). Please advice. My budget is <600$. Please suggest an alternative, if possible

Thanks

Anil Krishnan

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon Lens (EF-S 17-85 mm. f/4-5.6 IS USM Standrd Zoom Lens)

I've owned 2 copies of the 17-85 & neither was as good as the Sigma 18-200 or 18-200 OS I've also owned. It's a lens that hasn't really proven to be as good as many other more versatile lenses in & below it's price. I haven't used  the 15-85 but have read lots of very positive things about it including that it has excellent IQ.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."