cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T6 with a Canon Macro lens 100mm f2.8

jesbroken
Contributor

I am apparently over my head with this Rebel T6 camera. I have never been able to use it correctly. I bought this canon macro lens 100mm 1:2.8 and 6 months later found it was missing a LIMIT FULL button/switch/plug in or what ever. I can find no information about this item anywhere. Every canon photo of this lens leaves this side of the lens photo off and only offers the left side of the lens with arrows pointing to the various controls/items and no mention of the LIMIT FULL item. Can anyone tell me what it is and can I get a replacement. It's too late for warranty as this is how the camera came. My bad, my mistake. 

Hope someone can help me. I had no problems with the original lens but sold it to pay for this one. 

Thank you,

Jim

9 REPLIES 9

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Are you saying that just the switch button itself is missing from yours and it has a hole where it belongs?

The 100 macro without image stabilizer has this two position control just to the right of the 100MM identification marking near the flange mount.  There is a used one on ebay with plenty of photos including the switch.

The image stabilized version has a three position switch just to the left of the 100MM identification marking.

Not sure whether Canon parts sells the switch actuator part but if it broke off or is missing I imagine replacement will require going inside the lens barrel.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

It appears just the button itself is missing. Here's a photo.

Thank you,

Jim

Limit full button missing.JPG

Stephen

There are also images of it on our site HERE and in the manual HERE.

There are 3 versions of the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

I suspect you have the oldest EF 100mm f/2.8 non-USM lens because it is the only one that has "LIMIT FULL" labeled on the AF focus distance limit switch. 

The switch is used to limit the AF focus distance from 0.57 meters to Infinity so that you can can speed up your AF focus time if you don't need to focus on near subjects. The normal AF distance in "Full" is 0.31 meters to Infinity.

If your switch is missing, you can still use it as is, but you should probably get the switch replaced. 

Here is a link to the user manual for the original non-USM EF 100mm f/2.8.  

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 (non-USM) user manual 

ED3D747D-304B-4F2E-B9A8-C331603D28A5.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Would you have an idea what it would cost to get the button/switch installed. It looks like the guts are there with a couple of holes I would think the switch would pop in. It may require disassembly but I wouldn't know about that. 

Jim

The switch "button/handle" looks exactly like the one for the AF/MF control.

Best guess based upon the photos is the round opening is where a protruding part of the missing part fits to actuate the sliding contact and if so then in your photo,  the focus limiter is set to the full position which is the most useful.  You could CAREFULLY use a precision screwdriver or something that fits to GENTLY see if the contact slides back and forth.  If so, place it in the position closest to the rear of the lens which is the full position which is likely to be the most useful to you and then see if the lens is otherwise working properly to see whether it is worth further repair expense.

Setting the switch to limited range provides faster focusing when the subject is .31 to .57 meters away BUT you can still focus at that distance with the switch set to full.

I seriously doubt that Canon repairs this model now and if they did the cost would be more than the lens is worth.  If the lens is functional AND you decide to operate it with the missing switch part, I would cover the opening to reduce dust and moisture getting into the lens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@jesbroken wrote:

Would you have an idea what it would cost to get the button/switch installed. It looks like the guts are there with a couple of holes I would think the switch would pop in. It may require disassembly but I wouldn't know about that. 

Jim

Your lens was in production from 1990-2000. They sell on eBay for about $200-300 so it is not really worth spending a lot of money to repair it. Because it is so old Canon would probably not stock parts or service it.

I once had a similar old lens that was missing the AF on/off switch and I found I could still operate the switch using a small screwdriver. You could try setting it to the full range and then covering the hole with some black tape.

If you were to find a replacement switch cover, I imagine it might just snap into place. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike and Rodger and all that replied to my post. I believe I will leave it as is with tape covering the hole. Perhaps if I could ever find the button I would buy it just to try inserting it in to see if it locks in and if not, I can't afford another lens so it will have to suffice. Now I use it to photograph coins and I should be able to make out with it in the 1 foot range. You all have truly helped me and I thank you all.

Have a great day.

Jim

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Why not tell us exactly what the issue is and provide some images to illustrate. If you tell us what you are trying to do, and how your current procedure does not do this, we may be able to help you get to where you want to go.

Announcements