Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon EOS RP RF 24-105MM Lens Infinity Focus?

Hello,

I have the Canon EOS RP body with an RF 24-105MM Lens. I'm wondering, does this lens have an infinity focus feature? I thought I saw some videos regarding a "distance meter" but I believe this is only on the Canon EOS R. I have the Canon EOS RP.

Please let me know how to set to infinity mode. I'm headed to Scandinavia soon to shoot the Northern Lights so this focusing mode is super important.

Thanks!

Highlighted
VIP

Re: Canon EOS RP RF 24-105MM Lens Infinity Focus?

I believe what you are describing is called hyperfocal distance.

D652F886-8CD9-4E47-95DA-994B82D334AB.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

No, he wants infinity focus, like for astrophotography.

AFAIK, Canon has not had an infinity focus hard-stop point for a long time. If you look at the lens data sheets they give a range due to temperature expansion and contraction.

Highlighted
VIP

@kvbarkley wrote:

No, he wants infinity focus, like for astrophotography.

AFAIK, Canon has not had an infinity focus hard-stop point for a long time. If you look at the lens data sheets they give a range due to temperature expansion and contraction.

In practice, setting the ring to infinity focus or the hyperfocal distance is effectively the same setting.  The setting is approximately at the vertical tick shown in the photo.  The remaining distance to the infinity symbol is for temperature and light wavelength compensation..  

C90427B7-36AA-443D-B43F-E1464988B0B9.jpeg

All of the L glass lenses still have "hard stop" points in their focus rings.  It is more of a "soft stop" than a physical hard stop.  The focus ring "hits" an end point, which you can feel, but it continues to turn freely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
VIP

"Please let me know how to set to infinity mode."

Most lens are not parfocal, meaning the exact point of infinity focus shifts when the lens is zoomed. There will be a point where infinity at one focal length will be past infinity for another.

Also, temperature changes plus the different materials used in the construction or a very complex zoom lens expands and contracts at slightly different rates. This affects the focus position at infinity. 

I would set the lens to MF. Point it at some very far off subject like a mountain top and look.  Either through the VF or on your LV screen.  Simply leave it set there.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP

"All of the L glass lenses still have "hard stop" points in their focus rings."   Smiley Surprised

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!