cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 70D Ultra Wide Lens

kcdemby
Apprentice

Headed to Banff National Park in 2014.  It has been suggested I purchase an ultra wide lens - a 16 or 17mm on full frame cameras, but a minimum focal length of 24mm.  Any suggestions for the best lens that meets this criteria?

12 REPLIES 12

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

There are several companies that make lenses in that range... Canon's tends to get the best reviews.

The idea is that if you need to look around to take in the view... then it's probably a good situation for a wide angle. Just keep in mind that another aspect of a wide angle lens is that it stretches the depth of the image -- things will appear farther away. For some subjects, you will find that you need to be closer than you might guess.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Best bets are the Canon 10-22 or the Sigma 12-24 which works on both crop bodies & full frame bodies.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I too would suggest the EF-S 10-22 which has a 16-35 field of view equivalent.

As I move from my 5DII to solely APS-C bodies, I plan on picking one up.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

I'd also recommend the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. It would be one of my top choices for great image quality, unusually good flare resistance for an ultrawide lens, plus excellent autofocus performance.

Personally my close second choice would be the Tokina 12-24mm f4. It's an excellent lens, too. Very close to the Canon in most respects and possibly even better built (it's "L-like").

I've been using the Toki 12-24 for a number of years and have just recently bought a copy of the Canon 10-22 and am starting to use it too.

There are also:

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. This is another very nice lens,might even be sharper than the 12-24, but also a bit more expensive and more prone to flare.  more expensive than the 12-24 and more prone to flare. Also, to get f2.8 - which most people really don't need on an ultrawide - the trade off is a very narrow range of focal lengths.

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 is one of the lower cost options. Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 is a more expensive and larger lens. It also uses larger than usual filters, more expensive 82mm. Most of the other lenses listed here use 77mm filters.

Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 is the widest lens available for APS-C crop sensor cameras (short of going to a fisheye). It cannot be uses with standard filters, due to a strongly convex front element.

Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 has the widest range of focal lengths in a single lens and is one of the more affordable choices. A lot of users report it's a bit soft at the 24mm end of the zoom.

If you prefer a prime instead of a zoom, a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 is an affodable option. Note that this is a manual focus and manual aperture only lens, so rather slow to work with. But it's got decent image quality. It also sells branded as a Samyang, ProOptic, Bower, Vivitar (13mm) and some others. All are the same lens, so shop around if you're interested in this lens. Note that it's another lens that cannot be used with standard filters, because it has a strongly protruding front element. All other 14mm and 15mm prime lenses are extremely expensive.

Yes, the Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 would work, too.... However I wouldn't recommend it because it's actually a full frame capable lens and quite a bit more expensive than most of the above. Sort of a waste, you would be paying extra for full frame coverage and not using it at all on a crop camera such as your 70D.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

I have finally, after much debating in my mind upgraded to a canon 70d with a 18-135mm lens and as a bonus a 50mm f4 to complement... Now after much debate ( again...) I want to experiment with wide anglular lens shooting but as with everything in life it comes with a price...

I'm still learning so I have many doubts...
What benifit would I get from buying a
22mm lens..?
Or 35 mm..?
I realise a 10-22mm would be ideal but the price for this type of lens is high, so much that I am considering a refurbished or secondhand one when I can. Does anyone advise against..?

Any constructive comments greatly appreciated on this subject matter.
Many thanks!

@RichMack wrote:
I have finally, after much debating in my mind upgraded to a canon 70d with a 18-135mm lens and as a bonus a 50mm f4 to complement... Now after much debate ( again...) I want to experiment with wide anglular lens shooting but as with everything in life it comes with a price...

I'm still learning so I have many doubts...
What benifit would I get from buying a
22mm lens..?
Or 35 mm..?
I realise a 10-22mm would be ideal but the price for this type of lens is high, so much that I am considering a refurbished or secondhand one when I can. Does anyone advise against..?

Any constructive comments greatly appreciated on this subject matter.
Many thanks!

A 35mm lens is not considered a wide-angle on a 70D. It's midrange, like a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera (if you remember that quaint item from the past). A 22mm lens is mildly WA. A true WA would be something like the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (not the sharpest lens I've ever used, but a pretty good value for the money).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

well  how about the new stm lens? 10-18?

a ftb n ti1 70d 5d mk3 lens, 50 1.8mk1 50mm 1.4 16-35 4.0isL 400mm 5.6L
etc. using canon slrs from 1975

Thanks, I will check that lens out
Announcements