cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 5D Mark III and Tamron lens

povfrome
Contributor

I have just ordered a EOS Mark III body and a Canon 70-200 F/2.8 II USM IS lens. Now I want a wide angle zoom lens to complete the package. I'm interested in a 24-70 f/2.8 lens. Canon's version does not have an image stabalizer and is over $2000. Tamron offers the same focal and aperture in their 24-70 f/2.8 with an image stabalizer for around $1300. Are there any issues concerning using a Tamron lens on a Canon body?

14 REPLIES 14

cale_kat
Mentor

"Are there any issues concerning using a Tamron lens on a Canon body?"

None unless you consider that posting a question which seeks approval from those that are indebted to their host Canon might be offended by your question.

I’m sorry, This was my first post as a new member and I didn’t know that this site was biased against other products. I’ll make sure that in the future my posts will be only regarding Canon products if I decide to remain a member.

I don't think bias has anything to do with it. Just the idea of being considerate. 

If I were to post that the 70-200mm the Tamron were superior to the Canon equivalent, that might be true but to argue about the merits of the one vs the other would, IMHO, be considered bad taste on Canon's site. The site is a forum for Canon users and their interests. Hosting a site requires a financial commitment that should not go unacknowledged. Again, it is just my opinion. 

@cale_kat wrote:

I don't think bias has anything to do with it. Just the idea of being considerate. 

If I were to post that the 70-200mm the Tamron were superior to the Canon equivalent, that might be true but to argue about the merits of the one vs the other would, IMHO, be considered bad taste on Canon's site. The site is a forum for Canon users and their interests. Hosting a site requires a financial commitment that should not go unacknowledged. Again, it is just my opinion. 

Forgive me, but I think that's mostly nonsense. Manufacturers don't run forums like this out of the kindness of their hearts. They do it to take the pulse of the user community and to try to clear up misunderstandings before they become embarrassing rumors or unsupported rants. This forum is a benefit to Canon and a benefit to us.

And if a competitor's lens is well regarded for whatever reason, it's in Canon's interest to know that and to understand why. And if a Tamron lens makes a 5D3 affordable by someone who would otherwise buy a Sony, I think Canon would gladly take his money.

Bob

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@povfrome wrote:

I’m sorry, This was my first post as a new member and I didn’t know that this site was biased against other products. I’ll make sure that in the future my posts will be only regarding Canon products if I decide to remain a member.

The person who berated you for mentioning Tamron is just being silly. I'll take your reply as mildly sarcastic.

Have you considered the somewhat newer Canon 24-70mm f/4? It's lighter and cheaper than the f/2.8, and it's image-stabilized. In my experience (limited by the fact that I've owned my 5D3 for only a month), the 5D3's low-light performance is good enough that you could probably get away with an f/4 lens, even for event photography indoors. Another good lens (which I own and like) is the 24-105mm f/4. Its obvious role is that of an outdoor walkaround lens, but I've used it successfully indoors.

Bob

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I would bet you are probably long gone now but if not the real answer to your question is.  IS is not really needed in a lens of this focal length if you do stills.  It can be of good service to someone that does video.

The Canon 24-70mm f2.8 is the best lens on the planet.  Canon forum or not all others are going to be second place.

That said the Tamrom 24-70mm f2.8 is a very good lens.  Way better than most of the Tammy line and except for it and the 70-200mm f2.8, the ony two Tammy's I would recommend a Canon camera owner to buy.  The rest of Tanron's line is hit and miss at best.  You don't want to be the guy that got a "miss"!  There are plenty out there.

Two more very close second place lenses are the Sigma pair, of 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 and would be my best choice for a 3rd party lens.  Sigma has improved so much over the last five years that Canon better start paying attention or may become over run.  Sigma's are very attractive.

One very big spec where the 3rd world lenses fall very short is duribility. None, I mean absolutely none, of them are "L" quality in duribility.  And any lens is a combo of all it's specs not just one or two.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Really folks, when I joined this forum I had no idea it was for only Canon related issues and did not mean to insult the hosts. I am a Canon gal. I also own a Canon 7D. I wish all my equipment could be Canon. I have just spent a great deal of time and money researching and purchasing a Canon 5D Mark III and the Canon 70-200 F/2.8 II USM IS lens. I don’t want to settle for less. But now to complete the package I really want a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. I would have no doubts whatsoever about the Canon even at their price if it had IS. I do not want to regret not having the f.2.8 as I may be in some low light situations during my travels, or the IS as I may not be able to handle a camera and lens of that weight without a tripod. I bought the best tripod I could find made of carbon fiber( I won’t mention the name). It is compact, very light and has a load capacity of 25lbs. I plan on using it most of the time but there will be times that I just won’t have time to set it up.

I have read a lot of reviews and 90% of them regret not having IS. After comparing the Tamron with the Canon on other sites that test different products, there didn’t seem to be too much difference in performance of either lens. Canon was favored as it should be, but for the price comparison and no IS it failed to make that big of an impression. I think the manufacturers of Canon know this and will probably come out with another version that includes IS. As Bob said…“if a competitor's lens is well regarded for whatever reason, it's in Canon's interest to know that and to understand why. And if a Tamron lens makes a 5D3 affordable by someone who would otherwise buy a Sony, I think Canon would gladly take his money.” That’s an excellent point. And Bob, I have considered the Canon 24-70 f/4 but I really feel that maximum aperture over the total focal range is a plus that only 2.8 can give.

Ebbigs 1, I have considered the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 but it doesn’t have IS. The price certainly is appealing, but the Tamron even though more expensive is a better lens (from what I‘ve read). I do agree about the L quality and durability of the Canon lens however and I would buy it if not for the IS. I am getting ready for a long trip and am in need of a wide angle zoom lens as soon as possible.

I came here to find out if anyone knew if there were any issues with the Canon mount accepting a Tamron as I have never used anything but a Canon lens on my Canon cameras. Thank you for reading my rather long winded response and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

I agree that it is next to impossible to discuss the purchase of a new lens without giving consideration to price. A similar debate over the "best speedlite for my XXX" came up recently and there was ample discussion of what "best" meant with some saying that the best speedlite should not be limited by price and others saying, myself included, that the best speedlite was one that was best for a particular need or use and that made less expensive speedlites better.

So, I don't think you're covering new ground here. The question of being able to afford the best 24-70 zoom is highly relevant and it should not, as you well know, be limited to a those lenses within Canon's professional series of lenses.

There is one fact of third party lenses that is without dispute and that is their uncertain future as legacy lenses to newer bodies. Canon, and other manufacturers, are increasingly tying overall imaging performace to a digital connection between lens and body. Third party manufacturers may not be able to align their products to Canon's future camera development.

It iw worth noting that there is also no guarantee that all of Canon's lenses will work on future camera bodies but it is in Canon's best interest to make their next generation of bodies compatible with as many currently used lenses as possible. (Note, the 70D is an example of a Canon body that is not compatible with a number of important Canon lenses.)

Good luck.

That’s interesting. In fact the EFS 18-135 on my 7D will not work on my new Mark 5III, but all Canon EF and EFS lens will work on my 7D. So who knows what lies ahead for the next generation of Canon cameras and lenses? Nevertheless, I need to know if the Tamron will have AF or mount issues. What would you do if you absolutely were sold on an image stabilizer and a 24-70 f/2.8 lens? BTW, if the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 had IS I would buy it right now.

Announcements