cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 250D lens help

carriemathinson
Apprentice

I've decided I'm going to purchase the Canon EOS 250d and it comes with the EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens. This seems fine for me as I'm a beginner. However, I was thinking of also purchasing the 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. I know it's a cheap option but I don't have a giant budget. Do you think there's much point in buying this extra lens? Or should I wait and just save up for a different more expensive lens? I'm mostly going to be using the camera for landscape photography and everyday kind of videos (vlog style). I'm moving abroad so will be in a tourist mindset probably taking photos of everything so would like some versatility.

3 REPLIES 3

@carriemathinson wrote:

I've decided I'm going to purchase the Canon EOS 250d and it comes with the EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens. This seems fine for me as I'm a beginner. However, I was thinking of also purchasing the 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. I know it's a cheap option but I don't have a giant budget. Do you think there's much point in buying this extra lens? Or should I wait and just save up for a different more expensive lens? I'm mostly going to be using the camera for landscape photography and everyday kind of videos (vlog style). I'm moving abroad so will be in a tourist mindset probably taking photos of everything so would like some versatility.

The only versatility the 50mm provides is its wider aperture. That doesn't buy you much in landscape photography, and your zoom lens already covers the 50mm focal length. But if your tourist mindset has you taking a lot of pictures indoors, the f/1.8 aperture could be a help.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do you think there's much point in buying this extra lens?"

No, I would not buy a 50mm.  You already have that FL in the kit zoom lens.  All it will add is a faster aperture.  If you think that is a positive, than maybe yes.  Keep in mind primes, which the 50mil is, are harder to use since they don't zoom. And 50mm is not a friendly FL on a Rebel.  It makes a nice portrait lens so agaion if that is a plus, then maybe yes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@carriemathinson wrote:

The secret to being a good videographer is that you need to be a good photographer.  Good videographers have a firm grasp on the basics of photography, most especially the effects of aperture sizes.  The 50mm f/1.8 will teach you a lot about photography.  

When shooting video, having a wide aperture can be very beneficial in capturing background blur.  Many outdoor videographers use ND filters, so that they can shoot with a wide aperture to capture background blur.  Some use variable ND filters to control their exposure, instead of changing camera settings.

I would not advise buying any lenses if you just purchased the camera.  Save up your money for a wide angle, wide aperture lens.  The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens is worth the cost of what it will teach you, although you may not get a lot of use from it when it comes to vlogging.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements