cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EFS 18-55 mm lens not functioning properly

nried001
Apprentice

Hello!

I have a Canon Rebel XS camera with a EFS 18-55 mm lens on it which has worked great up until recently.  

A few days ago whenever I would try taking a picture with this lens the Error 01 message would come up saying that the connection between the camera and lens was faulty and I needed to clean the contacts.  I tried cleaning them with rubbing alchol and a q-tip but it didn't help.  Now either the error message comes up whenever I try taking a picture or it succefully takes a picture, but it comes out as completly black (I am taking a picture of something well lit).

Yesterday I noticed that there appears to be a scratch or something in the lens that could be causing the problem (please see attached picture).  My buddy said that he thought it looks like a Iris Tine that isn't retracting and is causing problems.

I was wondering if there was a way that I could fix this myself, or would I be better to send it into a shop to get it fixed?  What suggestions do you all have for resolving this problem?

Thank you so much for your help and please continue to stay safe and healthy! 🙂

Nick R.IMG_20200408_000503_01.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If this was original with the XS, it is not worth fixing.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Agree. You can get one at Amazon for ~$110. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Agree. You can get one at Amazon for ~$110. 

I think I agree with Nick's buddy; the problem is in the lens, not the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@kvbarkley wrote:

If it was the original, then you may want to replace it with the updated STM version of the lens.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-18-55mm-f-4-56-is-stm-standard-zoom-lens 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

~$110 at Amazon

Amazon.com : Canon EF-S 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6 IS STM Zoom Lens (Bulk Packaging) : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo 2020-04-08 16-57-14.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

As is my wont for post like this, I checked the Canon Refurbished store. They don't even bother to list it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I tried cleaning them with rubbing alchol and a q-tip but it didn't help."

As you have found out, this almost never to never works or helps.  It's just a feel good I did something effort.  Your lens is broken and is not worth fixing. Bottom line.  Cut your loses and buy a new lens.

This just might be the golden opportunity to buy a real much better upgrade to that original kit lens.  Look at the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  In every conceivable way it is head and shoulders a better lens. Plus it is a lens that will advance to your next Rebel camera upgrade.  You know the best is usually the cheapest in the long run.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I tried cleaning them with rubbing alchol and a q-tip but it didn't help."

As you have found out, this almost never to never works or helps.  It's just a feel good I did something effort.  Your lens is broken and is not worth fixing. Bottom line.  Cut your loses and buy a new lens.

This just might be the golden opportunity to buy a real much better upgrade to that original kit lens.  Look at the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  In every conceivable way it is head and shoulders a better lens. Plus it is a lens that will advance to your next Rebel camera upgrade.  You know the best is usually the cheapest in the long run.

I have never used it, but the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM seems like a less expensive option.

Another interesting lens it the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Contemporary.  It can use the Sigma dock for focus tuning and firmware updates.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM seems like a less expensive option."

I never even touched one so I can not personally recommend it. I have had the opportunity to play with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.  It is, IMHO, the sharpest lens in this category currently available. That lens alone is a reason to buy a new 90D, again, IMHO.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements