Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon EF-S Lenses

Will the EF-S lenses work on the Canon 5D Mark III? I ask because I have been given conflicting advise.

Respected Contributor

Re: Canon EF-S Lenses

No.  Definitely not. 

If it would even mount (I don't think it would) it would only expose a small circle inside the whole frame of the shot.  It is designed to cover a smaller sensor, and not a full frame sensor.  No one would use a crop sensor on a FF camera even if it would mount.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

ScottyP is correct. EF-S lenses will not physically connect to the 5D. The metal bits won't line up.

There are adapters that will allow the EF-S lenses to mount but there are negatives with that. These adapters may be the source of the conflicting advice you've received.
Esteemed Contributor

See

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Using-a-lens-designed-for-crop-bodies-on-full-frame-SAMPLES/m-...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."